beef roast

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just thought I'd post real quick on a relative success I recently had with a 8 lb beef sirloin roast, and get some ideas to make it even better. I used Chris' prime rib recipe with the fresh herb paste, but instead of a pricey prime rib, I used a cry-o-vacked roast from Costco. The roast only took about 3 hours and it got up to 135 degrees internally so I took it off. It was really good, but with this cut of meat, as opposed to the more tender prime rib, I think I should have maybe cooked it a little lower and slower to get a little more tenderness. It wasn't bad, but I'm sure some of you have some suggestions for improvement. I did notice that I wasn't able to get the cooker up to 400 and hold 350 as well as I did when I cooked a prime rib for Christmas. This roast settled in at about 315 with 2 whole chimneys and the vents mostly open. Kind of a cold and blustery day outside, but the cooker was sitting in my garage (yes, the overhead door was open /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif ))
Any suggestions are appreciated.
BTW, Chris, that fresh herb paste is a real winner.

Dean,
In reference to your heating trouble, you did not mention what you were using as a fuel source. I surmise you were using straight charcoal. If that was the case, try adding some lump charcoal as a mix for higher heating capabilities. If you add maybe 30% lump to the charcoal mix, the higher temperature that you required for this cook, should be easily obtained.

I do not have much experience with the sirloin roast, but I think you were on the right track, with the higher temperatures.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back