Beef inside round?

Mike A.

TVWBB Fan
While in my local BJ's Wholesale for some brisket today, I saw a large, flying-saucer shaped cut called beef inside round ($2.29/lb). I've never seen it before, does anyone have any experience with it, and most importantly, does it smoke well?

What you found was top round. Whole roasts are rather large; they are often cut into small roasts for retail. If smaller, thick is what you want. Thin cuts ('steaks') aren't worth bothering with, imo, unless you're making London Broil, but I'd rather flank for that myself.

They can be smoked/roasted but should not be taken to a high internal, imo. You can treat them like roast beef and cook at a high temp to a lower internal (which results in a range of doneness from the center out), or you can cook at a low temp to a low-mid internal (which results in an even finish from the center out). For the former, I'd suggest a temp of 325, the latter, a temp of 225. You can add a searing step at the finish if you wish.

If you'd like a cooked-through finish, cook at a lower temp to a mid-range temp of ~145 or so. Bump the cook temp higher, raise the internal to 150+, then rest just till an internal of 160 is reached. Slice thickly (1/4-3/8") and place directly into warm jus. Cool thus, chill if desired; reheat gently.

Back