Beef galbi

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Bought some Flanken short ribs for beef galbi.

I’ll smoke this with some oak tomorrow and then sear them off on direct heat to caramelize the pear and sugar in the marinade.

1716786909916.jpeg

1716786930061.jpeg

The marinade

1716786951295.jpeg

Put all the ribs into a 2 gallon ziplock bag and poured the marinade over the ribs. Then massaged all the ribs to ensure an even coating and disbursement of the marinade.

1716787095432.jpeg

Packed and then into the fridge for its overnight rest.

1716787145681.jpeg

Usually I find these to be fairly tender.....but there is always a chew to them.
Did you use any mirin or ginger in these babies?
Excited to see the grill on these.

Usually I find these to be fairly tender.....but there is always a chew to them.
Did you use any mirin or ginger in these babies?
Excited to see the grill on these.
Mirin, ginger, garlic, Asian pear, green onions, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil.

The marinade was very balanced when made. I’m sure the sugars will caramelize and lend a slightly sweet note to the savory ingredients once cooked.

My Korean buddy signed off on my marinade with a “bomb.com” that it looks and sounds perfect.

The pear is a tenderizer without over sweetening the meat. I was going to use pineapple concentrate but my Winco had Asian pears. So I splurged.

Pickled veggies.

Carrots and daikon radish

1716837138510.jpeg

And a very simple kimchi

1716837162766.jpeg

The pickling liquid is a 1:1 of water to ACV and .75 ratio of sugar. Then add a few pinches of salt to balance the sugar out.

All the pickling liquid is heated to incorporate the solids and then slightly cooled with a few ice cubes.

Then poured over and countertop marinated for 4 hours then fridged.

Last edited:
Live thread of the day!!!!....I feel that 5 Pacific is a long ways away still......if I had my pilots license I could probably still make it.
Gonna hit you up on a PM soon on some of your side sauce(s) for that sesame seed tuna we chatted about before.

Last edited:
Fresh whipped cream and strawberries for a deconstructed strawberry shortcake dessert.

1716850391459.jpeg

1716850402904.jpeg

1716850419844.jpeg

And fresh corn about to go on the grill. It usually takes one hour to cook so I’m hopefully running on schedule.

1716850480706.jpeg

7:15 here, cooking indo as there is rain but it wasn’t in the forecast.
Cast iron burgers patties with shrooms and onions…..still waiting for the live feed of awesomeness.
Apparently I need some sort of cover for the grilling area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 1

Back