Beef Chuck Roast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Chuck roast...may be as good as pulled pork.

My second cook went well.
Night before rub with Yum Yum Steak Seasoning,
Cooked at 250. When roast got to 160 I foiled it and took it up to 200. Rested for one hour.

Great smoke ring and flavor. The foil was full was full of beef 'juice'.

I am wondering if I had cooked it longer in foil, really braising, would it be more tender?
How long? Anybody have suggestions?

The leftovers were sliced thin and made a good samich with a little sauce.

Hey Steve,

Ya know.... this is a really interesting question. I'd trust Bryan S' opoinon on whether foiling or not would help make it more tender.

The thing that's got me thinking here is whehter a true braise would help out a chuck roast. I think it might. Here's the definiton:

Braising

My thought is get it up to 160, get the smoke flavor in, add an apropriate amount of your favorite liquid then braise it up to 200. I've been toying with this idea for brisket flats but haven't had time to try it.

The only thing I'm wondering about is whether a chuck roast is too fatty a cut to make this an appropriate technique.

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts here.

Rob, that is what I did-except there was plenty of liquid without adding any extra. I do not believe that the fat content would interfere with braising.

So the question is,would taking it up higher or cooking longer make it more tender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back