Beef chuck pot roast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weisse

TVWBB Super Fan
Just got a 3.5 pound beef chuck pot roast and the rub has been applied. The fat marbling looks pretty decent, but other threads seem to warn about drying out. I was thinking about a layer of bacon on top and taking it up to an internal temp of 175 - 180.

Any thoughts on this?

I've done several chuck roasts on the WSM. I've used bacon before, and it works pretty well.
As for temp, it depends on how you like your roast. At 180 it should be pretty easy to slice. I usually run it up a bit hotter; 195-200, and it's easier to pull and shred.
Jim

What's a good temp so it's really tender, almost falling apart but not quit? I've got a few 3lb chuck blade roasts that are about 2" thick sitting in the freezer. I dont want to cook them till there shredded. I hate shredded beef.

I'd rather slice them. Is 180f good for that?

Nothing ever goes as planned. My wife got up early and cooked the bacon I was going to use on the chuck. Even complained about how fatty the bacon was that I bought!

Now the plan is to cook for a couple of hours and then foil. I read somewhere that a chuck can take as much as 3 hrs/lb. What should I plan on for a cook time? I'd like to get to 175 internal.

Thanks!

The link provided is from another member here (I believe his name is Kevin).

Barbeque Tips Web Page

My wife challenged me to a Pot Roast crock pot vs. WSM cook-off. The cooks were 2 weeks apart and after my cook on the WSM, she grudgingly stated "Damn that was good, but your not putting that big black dinosaur egg on the counter, I don't care how 'cool' the kids think it is!"

Seriously though, this recipe is the best one I have ever tasted for post roast. It's at the botton of the page.

Enjoy.

Vince,

Did you use only half, or all each of the seasoning packets listed in the recipe? About how long did it take? I'm thinking about making this pot roast on Sunday.

Jeff

Jeff,

I've done the pot roast cook twice, and they were both around 8hr cooks (give or take 15 minutes) I only used half of the Italian & Ranch seasonings, and used the whole brown gravy packet (love gravy). I did make one change on the 2nd cook though. I put my veggies in the last "2 1/2" hours of the cook instead of the last 2 hours. I like my veggies a little softer, and this adjustment seemed to make the difference.

And one more thing, the leftovers are better than the initial meal. mmm.mmm. soaks those juices up.

Good luck if you do the Sunday cook, and post the results if you get a chance.

Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vince Farmintino:
[qb] Jeff,

I've done the pot roast cook twice, and they were both around 8hr cooks (give or take 15 minutes).

Vince [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Vince,
Do you remember about how big your chuck roasts were? It looks like the instructions were for a roast of ~3 lbs. The roast I bought is 4 lbs. Maybe I need to cook for about 10 hours instead of 8?

Jeff

Will it always shread when it's cooked? Or can you cook it to a lower internal temp so it's still moist and tender but slices? I don't care much for shredded beef.
The one I did shredded similiar to pot roast. But I overcooked it. I did the first example on that page. Just rubbed it, threw it on the grill (before I had a WSM). and cooked if for 5 hours. Then I foiled it for the last 2 hours. It was good but the bark actually took up much of the meat.

Next time I'm going to try the other method. Using a foil pan with some seasoning and beef broth. Then I'll throw m veggies, and potatoes on the last couple hours, maybe the last 2.5 hours as vince mentioned.

Put the roast on this morning running the WSM at about 250 dome temp. Asked my wife to keep an eye on the temps while I took my daughter to Horicon marsh to hike around. When I got home my wife was terribly upset because the WSM had overheated. It was running at 150. What the heck, she thought I said keep it at 150, not 250! I really felt bad for her because she was nice enough to do all the work for me.

Guess dinner will be a little late tonight!

I did the pot roast recipe today and it was great. Putting the veggies in with 2 1/2 hours to go made them just right.
We will definitely have the pot roast again.

Jeff

I just did some chuck roast as well yesterday. Turned out awesome. Just like in a slow cooker only with a smoked flavor to it. I cooked the chuck in a large aluminum pan like the link shows. Along with some beef broth and seasoning. Cooked at 240f for a couple hours. Then covered with foil. I checked the temp after 3 hours and it was at 180f! I actually took it out and threw it in a slow cooker. Then decided screw it. Seeing as I still had to do my potatoes, onions, and carrots yet. I decided to throw it all back on the smoker. I figured I would risk it getting over done.

Well almost 2 hours later after sitting on the smoker coverd in foil I took it off.

WOW it was so tender and the juicy! Everything was good and had excellent flavor. Far better then cooking in a slowcooker. The wife even enjoyed this one.
I'll be doing it again. I still have a few chuck roasts in the freezer yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back