Beef Brisket Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S

I was at my local grocery store looking for some beef brisket, and asked the butcher, he said sure, and brought me out a 4 lb "Boneless Flat Brisket". Is this really what I want to cook? Can I work with it if it isn't?

Even whole or "packer" cut briskets don't have bones, so can't say where the boneless part comes in. What he's showing you is the flat part with the point and most of the fat trimmed away. Such trimmed flats are typically packed in trays for display with the fat side down, so there should be a 1/4" or so layer of fat on it. Flat-onlys can come out fine on the WSM, just don't cook too-too low. A few here have been doing them recently with bacon strips laid over the top to augment the thin fat cap in self-basting. Also, those type flats are a good candidate for pastrami-- check out the recipe and method on the website.

Chad - This is what I am trying for the first time tomorrow too. I am going to use the Wet Rub located on this site. If you do a search with the words "brisket" and "bacon" for all of the forums you will get a fair number of hits and a lot of discussion and suggestions on how best to do a flat. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back