Beef Back Ribs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I came across some beef back ribs in BJs and was wondering if anyone has a good rub and any cooking tips for them. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jeff!

I have cooked beef ribs a few times. Follow the same procedures as you would cooking pork ribs. They will more than likely take much longer to cook. Mine took around 8 hours at grate temps of 225?.

Don't try to cook too much hotter than 250?, as they are loaded with fat and that must be rendered out.

As to seasonings...I use the same rub I use on beef....the recipe is below.

I no longer cook beef ribs as there is very little meat for the amount of cooking involved.

Good luck and have fun!

Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning

4 tablespoon(s) Salt
2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric

PREPARATION:
Mix together and use on any beef.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Jeff,
For a different approach with beef ribs, you might like to try a grape juice marinade I picked up from another forum. I've tried it and enjoyed its flavor and effect.

Ingredients

4 cups grape juice
2 cups water
8 cloves minced fresh garlic
2 Tbs Rosemary, chopped
? cup Kosher salt
1 cup sugar
2 tsp Cayenne pepper

Procedure

Mix all ingredients in blender for about 2 minutes. Cover ribs with marinade and place in refrigerator, covered, overnight. We put them into a long FoodSaver bag, vacuumed and sealed. Doing it this way will require 1/2 the above recipe for one slab of ribs.

When you are ready to cook, place the ribs, bone-side down, in your smoker. Maintain a cooking temperature of 220?, at the cooking surface, for 4 hours before opening the smoker. At the end of 4 hours, open the smoker and check for doneness, 180? between the bones. If they are done, spritz them down with grape juice and close the air vents on your smoker. Allow them to rest, as the temperature drops, for two more hours. Remove and enjoy! See pictures here. (Use Prev and Next links, above the pictures, to scroll through them all.) Enjoy!

Thanks for your replies. Here's the results: I used a hybrid of Kevin's rub (substituted adobo seasoning for the paprika) and smoked over hickory for 4 1/2 hours at 225 until the meat was 185 between the ribs. It came out fantastic - the fat fully rendered and the meat soft and juicy.

I'd do these again, and will try the grape juice marinade the next go'round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back