Beef back ribs

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
Not much talk about them here, I was at a store today, and saw them like dirt cheap..I wanted baby backs, but these were so cheap. Looks like I got some with good meat on them. I have done short ribs, and lots of flanken(kalbi) style but not these. Been on the WSM for like 2.5 hours now. Should I expect a culinary delight, or do most people avoid them for a reason?

the results were lackluster...great taste for what little meat I could get off the bone. My dog loved it though.

I find these to be a bit greasy, but good. The trick is to find some that have any meat left on them. Most butchers cut them pretty clean...almost like selling scraps at this point. Plus the bones are very heavy, so the price should be very low.

i've had beef ribs a couple times in the past, never tried cooking them myself, i just don't care for them... call me a bbq snob i guess, but bbq is made from pork, everything else is just grillin out...
icon_biggrin.gif

I have had some pretty good beef ribs at some Texas bbq joints. They were actually pretty darn big and meaty. Anybody know why butchers take off almost all the meat on beef ribs? What do they use it for?

I tried them recently. I was really excited about them, and that made the disappointment all the greater. Found them to be very unctuous.

Jason-- Beef ribs are what is left when one bones a rib roast so, of course, much meat ends up on the roast. However, not a few continue to trim the ribs to make them look better (the trimmings likely end up in gorund beef). Sometimes you can find a place that has enough calls for meaty beef ribs that they cut them right and then leave them alone. Often, one has to specify what one is looking for.

Beef short ribs come from the lower end of the roast and also from the plate. They are usually fattier.

Yep, c, they can be unctuous. I don't cook them unless I can find good ones at the store abd that doesn't happen often around here. If meaty, they often need a little trimming of fat and do benefit from slow cooking to get rid of more of it.

Back