BeeDoo BeeDoo Smoked Salsa

AlexD

TVWBB Member
Hey fellow smokers!

So I have not seen much in the way of smoked veggies or other similar talked here, so I wanted to share my experience with making a smoked salsa.

First, why am I making this, well for one, salsa is amazing and two we are having a salsa competition at work today, and I figured, new smoker this year, why no try a smoked salsa?! Finally we also have a good 300+ peppers coming out of the garden this year, the heat of the summer has made my two pepper plants explode and produce like crazy, so I am finding new ways to use them, my body can take many more bacon wrapped peppers, before I become one.

First, I picked up 5 lbs of on the vine tomatoes from Safeway. 3 habanero peppers, 1 Orange bell pepper, two onions, and two bunches of cilantro. Next I picked about 10 jalapenos and 15 banana peppers from the garden.

I halved all of the tomatoes and peppers then jutted them, pulling out all the seeds. With the peppers I made a major mistake and didn't ware eye protection, next thing I know a squirt of habanero juice has flown into my face, I rub my eyes and I'm in the shower for 20 min washing my eyes out. Don't make the mistake I did, wear gloves and eye protection!!!
Next I started the Smoker, full Weber load of coal, once hot into the smoker, with 4 chunks of hickory wood. Water bowl had cool tap water in it. I had to use the top and bottom racks both. Once settled at 250, the tomatoes and peppers went on the grill for 2.5 hours, It should have been only 2 hours as I lost 1/3 of the peppers due to charring. (turned out way spicy anyway so no biggie)
While they were smoking I had recovered from pepper eye. I chopped all the onions and cilantro and put into my mixer bowl along with a can of corn(water drained)
Once the smoker was done, in to the blender everything went and 10 seconds on salsa blend with a little lemon juice. Taste test informed me that I had just made LAVA! and I normally like thinks hot sooooo another 5 lbs of tomatoes into the smoker. Once done and a little sugar added I now have a Smokey, Simi Spicy and fantastic Salsa! I hope you enjoy the images and try the recipe!
Alex

11039296_610057364227_5616444828513871274_n.jpg

11181188_610057344267_3940413325196286616_n.jpg
11885081_610057329297_5102654949928539231_n.jpg

Alex,

Silly question…..Leave the tomatoes skins on going into the food processor?

jz

Not a silly question at all, I have seen a few different theory's on it. I wanted the full smoke flavor so the skins stayed on. If you want less smoke, remove the skin..however with how the cook, I would think that would be very difficult to accomplish.

Tommy B. the competition is still going on, I should know in an hour or so..but currently everyone I have over heard, loves its (its a blind taste test, no names.)

Alex

Last edited:
Great win. The salsa looks great. I learned the hard way also about rubbing an eye after handling peppers. It only happens once!

Alex,

Congrats on the win. You've inspired me to try something on those lines…and make it a throw down with my fishing partner.

Just realized you are across the river in Vancouver.

John

Alex,

Congrats on the win. You've inspired me to try something on those lines…and make it a throw down with my fishing partner.

Just realized you are across the river in Vancouver.

John

Yay! another PNW smoker, there needs to be more of us around here! Good luck with the Salsa, I would love to know how it turns out! And I let me know how the fishing goes, I love to fish, learned growing up in the Midwest, but still trying to learn river shore fishing here.

Back