BBQ Triathlon...w/ pics

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
In Texas, Cooper's BBQ in Llano is considered one of the best. Fact is, there's 3 Cooper's in Texas connected to George Cooper who established his 1st restaurant in Mason and then moved it to Llano. His sons Gary and Russ carry on the tradition in Round Rock and Junction respectively. I've eaten at the Llano and of course the Round Rock locations; and this past week I was able to complete the 3rd leg of the triathlon by visiting Russ Cooper's pit in Junction. Russ mirrors the family menu including the monster pork chop
icon_smile.gif
, but also offers cabrito! What 1st caught my eye driving up, were the wood piles. Cord upon cord of oak and mesquite are stacked up behind the restaurant. Russ chars the wood in a dedicated box and then feeds the coals into the pits with a shovel that must be 9' long! If you're ever in Junction TX, you need to check out Coopers!

Char box behind man in red.

Now that's a wood pile!

9' shovel standing next to pit.

Hehe... while I have a hearty appetite, that fed me, my friend and my nephew, and we still took some home. They also have very tasty cobbler.

After much prodding from the same friend, I bought a WSM for my birthday last week. Tomorrow I will be smoking a practice turkey to be ready for the real thing come Thanksgiving.

Back