BBQ Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S

I'm preparing for my first smoke (BB ribs), and I am making sure I have everything I need, as well as trying to determine where to gather additional items. I have purchased an ET-73 (from gadget source), a WSM (amazon), and a Weber Chimney from Sears. I will get my meats from my local Costco (until I find a local mom and pop butcher)...Now the tough stuff, I can only find Hickory/Mesquite chunks locally (Home Depot). Does anyone have any idea where I can get additional species of chunks, and other general BBQ supplies in Southeastern Virginia (Virginia Beach).

Thanks ahead of time, this board has been invaluable for getting me on the road to GOOD BBQ. I've been using my Weber Genesis, with the smoker attachment up until now. Can't wait until all the pieces show up so I can play.

One more question, is the BBQ Guru a good purchase?

Congrats, Chad, and best wishes on your first smoke! You're proceeding the exact same way as I am (chimney from Sears, WSM from Amazon), although I had to suck it in a little while before I get the ET-73 due to unexpected freight charges (see my "What's the dealie?!?" thread in Beginner's Forum for details).

I've seen wood chunks of different species (all of which the trees do not exist naturally in my state, 'cept for mesquite, which we call "kiawe", and is much milder than the mainland mesquite due to the porosity and low acidity of the volcanic/sandy soil) at my local Lowe's and Home Depot. There's also many places in the Smoke Ring webring that sell bagged chunks/chips.

Hope this helps!

Mark

P.S. RE: BBQ Guru -- Now that's a nice gadget, but it's a bit pricey and IMMHO, I think it's a wee bit overkill for a WSM. Other WSM afficionados and pros think otherwise, and I bow to their great and awesome knowledge and experience. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chad,

As a newbie to BBQin', I go to the local lumber source whether it be Home Depot or Lowes, and dig through the scraps of wood there. Some times if you ask nice they will make you a sweet deal. That is were I get my chunks of oak. I can get cherry and apple pretty easy nearby in the orchards, but for oak, that is my source.

Hi D M, W B here. Welcome to the forum, and it's nice to see another Western NY'er here. 2 others in N. Tonowanda and 1 down around Lackawana plus a few across the border. Sounds like you're getting a good start! Where's the new Lowes? Heard that one was going to be built in the Buffalo area somewhere . . .

Chad, I have a BBQ Guru and love it. There are several threads here, mostly on the WSM Modifications forum. And welcome to you, too!

Hmm, scrap oak at the lumber yard. Good idea! Do you age the wood first? How to make sure it's oak? Any other advice? I have some power tools including compound mitre saw and cutitng chunks would be really easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back