bbq shrines, NY to Charleston?

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
We're gearing up for our annual trip to Kiawah Island, South Carolina via the I95 corridor. We'll have three kids and a dog in a minivan, so we'll not want to meander all that much off route.

To date we've hit Bud and Ned (richmond), parkers, Wilburs, Bessingers (charleston, not the piggy park location), sweatman's and Moore's. I've considered the Skylight Inn in Ayden and lexington but they're a little too far off I95.

All suggestions welcome...

I like the Lone Star BBQ and Mercantile in Santee, SC. Unique place with good food. If you like bluegrass music they usually have it on weekends. It is only a couple of miles off of I-95.

Jeff, in retrospect, do not want to mislead you. At Lone Star it is not solely a BBQ place. It has a buffet, including 3 or 4 meats, i.e. pulled pork, fried chicken etc. Great local vegetable selection this time of year. In summary, good southern cooking and BBQ is among their selections. Great setting. One window has ladies bloomers for window curtains. It is actually several old clapboard buildings that were moved there to form a little village.

Bill,

that sounds good...we don't get good fried chicken here in ny and it gives my family something to eat if they don't want bbq. Santee is shouting distance scotts and d&h and mccabes so it will be a tough call...

On the other hand, if my brothers drive up from fl, we can have another go to see who holds the family fried chicken eating crown. I was a distant second at 21 pieces last time around...

Jeff, there are 2 BBQ joints on Johns Island, which is adjacent to Kiawah. Both are on Maybank Hwy. JB's Smokehouse and Hickory Hawg. JB's is buffet style and Hickory Hawg is off the menu. They are not in the caliber of Wilburs, Sweatmans or some you have mentioned but they are worth a shot if you are just quing around. There is also a new place located West of Ashley called Firey Ron's Home Barbeque on Hwy 61. All are decent meals. Would suggest Gillighans for seafood, kid friendly and good food. After hours, Firey Ron's can be more of a bar atmosphere, better for lunch or early dinner with the kids. The water temps are in the mid 80's at the beaches, quite refreshing.

Dino,

Thanks for the suggestions. we've been to JB's and like it very much. Nice buffet, good sides, we'll head there again during the week. I'll definitely look up the Hickory Hawg while we're there. We like Gilligan's with the kids...used to love the redbank cafe in the marina until the prices got crazy...still a good lunch place. We'll also go to besinger's for the buffet...

Back