BBQ serving question

Russ

TVWBB Fan
Here's the scenario:

If you were smoking 2 briskets and 2 pork butts today and serving them in 2 days from now, what would you recommend as far as when to slice the briskets? I know pulling the pork butts after they're done is definitely a must, but what about briskets? I will have limited cutting space when they're served in 2 days and think it would be a lot easier to cut them after they're done, put them in a big ziplog bag, and serve them in a broiler with some apple juice in the bottom. Is this a bad idea?

I prefer to slice brisket after reheat, I find once you slice brisket it dries out much quicker.
If you are going to slice and reheat in a liquid I would choose something like Rick's Sinful Marinade rather than apple juice.
Jim

Where do you find that usually? Never heard of it.

Also, how do you generally reheat? In an oven in foil? I'm bringing it to work with me at 8am and wont be seving it until 11:30, but in 2 days from now.

P.S. Is this Ricks Sinful Marinade?

12 oz. can of beer
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup of water
½ cup Worcestershire sauce (I use Head Country Marinade)
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon beef base
2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
1 tablespoon seasoned salt or rub.
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon MSG

I'm of the same mind as Jim: brisket loses moisture quickly once sliced.

If need be, carry a large cutting board and sit on a chair holding the board on your legs and slice on that (been there many times).

If you absolutely have no choice but to slice post-cook then I'd suggest resting the brisket fat-side down on a pan on the counter--unwrapped--for 20 min, then chilling it in the fridge--unwrapped--for an hour or two; then slice. You will have a better shot at retaining moisture if the brisket is thoroughly chilled before slicing.

I would not reheat with apple juice either. Jim's marinade suggestion is a good one. Absent that, I'd use beef stock mixed with a touch of unsalted butter. Don't swim the slices in the liquid (whatever you use) for the reheat, just use a little. Homemade lightly salted stock is preferable if you go that route. If all that's available is canned then mix 1 part canned beef with 2 parts low-salt chicken stock (or 50-50) and add just a little melted unsalted butter. The chicken will lower the overall salt level and will help remove the characteristic 'canned' taste that canned beef stock has. Reheat gently in a covered pan just till warm-hot; don't overdo the heat or time or the slices will lose most moisture anyway, regardless of what liquid you use.

Back