BBQ Guru...

Brian K

Hey guys, just kind of glanced at the BBQ guru while on here. It looks like a good idea for overnight cooks which I do often. I understand that you put the fan on and it stokes the fire. Do you close all the vents other than the one the fan is attached to so you can avoid temperature increases? I have that when the sun comes up. Just trying to get a bit more info. Thanks for your help.

Hi Brian,

I've been looking at ATC systems as well. Right now the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 is at the top of my buy list (though I haven't pulled the trigger yet).

You need to close all the bottom vents, including the unused holes in the vent you put the fan adapter in (they give you high temperature tape for that). You leave the top vent open.

Good luck,

Bob

FYI guys...rumor has it that sometime this month, Guru will be launching a new product that can be controlled thru your iphone or smart phone.SO if you're thinking of buying you may want to hold off a bit.

Regarding a Guru new controller unit. I've been informed that they will announce a new controller today. I would expect that it will have built in wifi and perhaps contolled using a mobile device. It will probably come at a higher price, higher than the DigiQ II with this added new feature.

ae3c5c2c.jpg

Here is another close up shot. Notice the 3 separate meat probe outlets. Both of these photos came from their Facebook site. Not sure when orders will open up.

67ba5b64.jpg

Alan-

I'm just guessing that it would be somewhere in the $250 - $300 range for just the controller. Fan and adapter would be extra.

Mike

Dennis-

Same here. Maybe I can eBay my DigiQ control and keep fan, probes, and other gear. I'll post a notice as soon as I hear that these will be on the market. Wonder how this will compete with the stoker's WiFi controller.

Mike

Per Lisa Jo @ Guru on Monday... <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We’re expecting them to be released late this week or early next week. The probes, power cord, fans, and adaptors will all be compatible. I expect that the new control, with 1 pit probe and 3 meat probes as well as the power cord will be just about $300. Not sure what the unit will cost by itself without any probes or other extras. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Mann:
Hi Brian,

I've been looking at ATC systems as well. Right now the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 is at the top of my buy list (though I haven't pulled the trigger yet).

You need to close all the bottom vents, including the unused holes in the vent you put the fan adapter in (they give you high temperature tape for that). You leave the top vent open.

Good luck,

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian and Bob - I've got a Guru, and wouldn't cook on my smoker w/o one - if you decide to bite the bullet and get one, don't use the tape - you can get stainless steel plugs (I got mine at Lowe's) that fit nicely, and look professional - here's a link to that subject discussed on this forum:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...331041336#9331041336

I've had a DigiQ 2 for several years. Although I don't use it all the time I use it a lot. Very reliable, small size.

There are things that are tempting about the cyberq, but I'm not looking to change at all as this unit works fine. I'm not all that excited about wifi or computer based acess. To me I just don't think I need it or want to follow that close. I understand others do and don't fault them at all. Just personal preference that hasn't changed for me. I have the Maverick that I used along with it for remote watching and I really only use that when I'm doing overnights or complex dinners, working in the yard or somewhere else and not going over to the smoker to check.

Either way BBQ Guru is a fine product. There are cheaper units and I'm sure they work great. But overall I like the features, function and control you get with the unit I have.

Great tool that provides a lot of convenince and reliable temp control

You still have to know how to set up the fire appropriately though. Basically use minion and not too much lit and let the unit do it's thing. Also you can pretty much choke down the fan unit by one half (there's a slider on it) for most cooks in an 18.5 WSM.

In the end the best way to mount the fan is a permanent mount by drilling a hole in the bottom of the WSM with a step drill. Then you can remove the fan and use the plug that comes with the adapter when not in use. Otherwise you give up a vent when you aren't using the Guru.

I have a DigiQ and has worked very well. If y ou don't need the food probe to control the pit then I would look at their new PartyQ model. It is battery operated (4 AA cells) for about $130. Seems like a good tool.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don J:
I have a DigiQ and has worked very well. If y ou don't need the food probe to control the pit then I would look at their new PartyQ model. It is battery operated (4 AA cells) for about $130. Seems like a good tool. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the PartyQ works great!!!! hasnt failed me yet, the battery thing concerned me but has held up through many long smokes in a row, and has a low batt sensor to let ya know

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dante:
I have the PartyQ works great!!!! hasnt failed me yet, the battery thing concerned me but has held up through many long smokes in a row, and has a low batt sensor to let ya know </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just received a PartyQ. For those concerned about battery life on 4AA's the battery box easily comes off and with some minimal soldering skills can be replaced with a 4C holder and separate power switch. You could also easily make up some sort of dummy cells for the AA case to run wires out to an external pack if you want to keep a warranty.

Back