BBQ Guru DigiQ vs Thermoworks SmokeX + Billows

Cody Evans

I’ve been running my 18.5” for 11yrs without an ATC with good results, but I’m considering one for long, overnight cooks. Does anyone here have experience with the two above, and if so, what are your thoughts?

I have the TW Smoke X4 plus billows, but have not used it on a WSM.

I like it and it works great on my BGE

I like a dedicated remote.

Downsides are no temp graphing with the smoke X.

All temp control is at the base unit, which is fine for me.

You probably know this, yet Your title mentions "Smoke". The standard smoke will not run a billows. Billows needs a smoke X2 or X4.

I have the TW Smoke X4 plus billows, but have not used it on a WSM.

I like it and it works great on my BGE

I like a dedicated remote.

Downsides are no temp graphing with the smoke X.

All temp control is at the base unit, which is fine for me.

You probably know this, yet Your title mentions "Smoke". The standard smoke will not run a billows. Billows needs a smoke X2 or X4.
Thank you. I corrected the title. Typo on my part. I’m glad you mentioned the BGE. I recently got a Large, and like the idea of an ATC I can use on both.

Thank you. I corrected the title. Typo on my part. I’m glad you mentioned the BGE. I recently got a Large, and like the idea of an ATC I can use on both.
If you get a billows, buy the adapter plate for kamodo and the yellow adjustable damper.

The damper limits air flow in when the fan is off and it is needed to keep low temps on the BGE.

Here's an example at 250 for an overnight cook.

20211214_222059.jpg

If you get a billows, buy the adapter plate for kamodo and the yellow adjustable damper.

The damper limits air flow in when the fan is off and it is needed to keep low temps on the BGE.

Here's an example at 250 for an overnight cook.

View attachment 43996
Are you keeping your daisy wheel/rEGGulator barely open? Also on your WSM, top vent fully open as normal?

Are you keeping your daisy wheel/rEGGulator barely open? Also on your WSM, top vent fully open as normal?
I've only had the WSM for a few days and have yet to cook on it.

On the BGE I get the temp to my target with the billows setup, but not powered. For 250 or less daisy wheel is barely open, and the billows damper is almost closed. When I put the meat on I'll again let the temp recover to target or just below ( 5 to 10 mins) and then connect the billows so I can walk away or go to sleep.

Back