BBQ dinner

Michael Stella

TVWBB Member
Last night I decided to make a 'quick' dinner and used the WSM. I made a meatloaf, that I based on the recipe found on the opening page, and I made the quick version of the Hog-Apple baked beans.

For the meatloaf, I used 1# each of pork/beef/veal, two eggs, 15 food processed ritz crackers, a bit of milk, some seasoning (salt/onion powder/garlic powder/pepper) parsley, and I also put two hard boiled eggs inside the loaf as I formed it. It came out awesome. I don't think something that only gets about 1:45 on the smoker really gets much of the smoke flavor as much as the charcoal flavor (I used cherry wood). I only sauced about 3/4 of the loaf at 100 degrees because I wanted to see/taste the difference. That is defenately the moneyshot with a meatloaf cooked on the WSM. The sauce really absorbs everything wonderful that is happening under the lid, and that is what made it really stand out.

Keri's beans also were pretty awesome. I used about half pulled pork, and half brisket. I need a potluck at work to make those for!

Michael

Eating leftover meatloaf I smoked Sunday as I read this. Those of you who haven't done one don't know what you're missing.

Sounds great, but what do you plan to make for Saturday Nov. 18th, 2006? I hear there is a little football game that day. :-)

Michael, let the wood catch fire before putting on the meatloaf. That way it gets smoke from the begining. I normally use chips on meatloaf just because it is a short cook. Try adding minced fresh onion to it instead of powder. Makes a big difference in moisture. I really like it that way.

I have never heard of adding hard boiled egg. So do you put it in whole or chop it up a bit? I am going to have to try that once. I am sure my wife won't like it, if you know what I mean.
icon_biggrin.gif

Those beans are incredible. You wouldn't believe the comments I get about them. I finally tried them using the bushes baked beans a couple weeks ago. I wasn't expecting much difference but I was wrong again. I think I get more raves about them when I use some beef, rather than when I use all pork.

I haven't decided what is on for the 18th. Well with the exception of smokin some wolverine.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
Michael, let the wood catch fire before putting on the meatloaf. That way it gets smoke from the begining. I normally use chips on meatloaf just because it is a short cook. Try adding minced fresh onion to it instead of powder. Makes a big difference in moisture. I really like it that way.

I have never heard of adding hard boiled egg. So do you put it in whole or chop it up a bit? I am going to have to try that once. I am sure my wife won't like it, if you know what I mean.
icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I smoked it with cherry wood chips. There seemed to be plenty of smoke. Maybe I'll try a chunk next time.

in addition to the eggs I use to bind the loaf together, I put two whole boiled eggs in the loaf. It's an italina thing I think as my mother and grandmother have always done it that way. Of course their meatloaf recipe is exactly the same as their meatball recipe. Go figure.
icon_smile.gif

Smoked Wolverine sounds good to me. Of course running one over also sounds good to me
icon_smile.gif

Michael

Talking about meatloaf, I hesitatingly tried a recipe recently, and was positively amazed at the results. DH Robert and I have been on Weight Watchers for some time now, and someone suggested using only two pounds of lean ground beef, 1/2 cup of egg beaters, 1 cup of water, and (all of things) a box of any non-cornbread based Stove Top Stuffing!!! I was a bit hesitant, but gave it a shot, and the silly thing is GOOD! The Stovetop has the breadcrumbs, the seasoning, the onion, everything a meatloaf needs; I've used both the Savory Herb variety and the basic Chicken varieties with good success - I've tweaked it as well adding fresh onion and other seasonings, but it's just fine in its basic form. Makes 12 meatloaf "muffins" or one big loaf, and it takes to the smoker very well. For some reason it seems to absorb more smoke than my more traditional meatloaf recipe.

Just thought I'd throw that in for the fun of it.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ

Michael, you mentioned in your original post of not much smoke flavor. That is why I brought up the chips. they start smoking almost instantly. I usually us oak chips. Sometimes I throw on a few mesquite chips. I don't have any fruit wood chips but I think fruit wood only adds a sweetness not really a smoky flavor. IMO. Maybe I could say it better by saying the fruitwood is a very light smoke and beef needs at least some heavier smoke like oak or hickory. Actually a small amount of mesquite is good on meat loaf.

I have been using some tabasco chips but they are a bit pricey and add no other flavor other than oak. Again IMO. Jack daniesl chips are oak but again a bit pricey and IMO add no other flavor other than oak. Around here the only oak chips I can find are JD and Tabasco.

I haven't ever used chunks on my meatloaf. Mainly because I don't use chips when smoking and it seems whenever someone buys a present of smokewood it is in the form of chips. So I am just using up my stock. If using hickory I would suggest small amounts also. I give my hickory chips away. I over done ribs with hickory once and can't stand the taste anymore.

Running over a wolverine sounds like fun to me also.
icon_biggrin.gif

I am going to have to try that boiled egg trick out once at least. It sounds pretty good.

Michael, I just toss the ground beef, egg-beaters, water, and UNpulverized Stove Top straight from the box into my KA mixer, or mix it by hand. I've made them with nothing on top, with straight ketchup on top, and with Head Country BBQ sauce on top.

I've had good luck using foil pouches of pellets with these quick cooks - I particularly like the sugar maple pellets or combo of sugar maple and Jack Daniels with this meat loaf. 1/3 to 1/2 cup of pellets in a tight foil pouch with a single toothpick hole in the foil will get enough smoke for a meatloaf cook. Does around our house, anyway.

OMG!
My Dad used to put a hard boiled egg in his meatloaf anf I though he was the only person who did that. I think it adds a nice touch; nice memory!!!

Several months ago I stopped using eggs in meatloaf. I have found that putting the mixture in a loaf pan and leaving it in the refridgerator for at least an hour makes it firm enough to put directly on the cooking grate and hold together during the cook. If I'm cooking just the meatloaf I usually use my 22.5" kettle minion method.

Scotch eggs I love. I had never seen boiled eggs in meatloaf before, though. Now I HAVE seen (and copied) putting a link or two of smoked sausage down inside the meatloaf, though. Rita, I'm DEFINITELY going to try this boiled egg stuffed into a fattie approach. Sausage and eggs in one nicely smoked package!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Upon edit, I hereby dub these potentially tasty little treats... Scotch Fatties a la Rita!

We're on a roll, Keri! I used to roll out my (Italian- or pizza-flavored) meatloaf mixture on the back of a sheet pan to about one-inch-thick, scatter some provolone cheese on it, top it with a stick of pepperoni, and roll it up before cooking it. I'm glad that you reminded me of it!

Oh man. Just reading this thread is making me hungry. I just made a couple fatties Monday. I am thinking I need to make a quick trip to the store. Stuffing hard boiled eggs into sausage. Why didn't I think of that before. I am going to have to try out the scotch eggs out on that link also. It sounds really good.

Rita that meatloaf sounds awesome. I think some italian meatloaf may just be on the menu this weekend.

As for the making of the meatloaf. I mix in a bowl that is 8-10 inched diameter. When I am done mixing I pat it down in the bowl. I take it out to the smoker/grill and plop it on. The loaf is only about 2 1/2 inches thick. more surface area for more smoke.

Smoooke gooood!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back