BBQ digital therms

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone else have problems with those little cheap digital therms that you snake the little wire thru the pit? They usually have a timer, temp of pit and your ideal temp on the display. That little metal wire keeps burning up on me rendering the thermometer useless. I haven't broken down and bought a digital therm with a remote, but I'm getting close. How do you keep the little wire from burning up? Common sense says it shouldnt' sense it is made for a bbq pit which on occasion produces heat, correct?
icon_eek.gif

There should be some notation in the thermometer's documentation about the temperature rating of the probe, which, on most units, is 392°F (200°C). You just need to stabilize your cooker below that before using that type. I've been using a $13 Taylor digital probe model for years without incident on my WSM.

Darrell,
I'd recommend getting one of these. I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine whatsoever. It's specifically made for smoking vs. grilling.

I've had the Nutemp NU-701 for 3 years now and love it. Just ruined my first probe by dropping it into water.

Back