BBQ contests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
Watching the Big Pig Jig highlights on Food TV last night got me interrested in possibly (!!!) entering a BBQ contest. A couple of questions for those of you that have competed recently.

1. What is the current trend in ribs and shoulders for taste? It seemed like a lot of the contestants were making sweet tasting sauces to finish off the ribs and to use on the pulled pork samples. Are judges preferring spicy or sweet?

2. I saw some pretty big injectors on the show last night. How prevalent is injecting when making contest BBQ?

3. Also saw some pretty nice setups when it came time to the final judging. How much of a chance does a person have with a really small setup to do good on the final judging? What's the smallest/simplest setup that you have seen at a contest that placed top 10?

4. How much is foil used at the contests in the cooking process of pork shoulders and ribs?

S.C. Que

I watched that show as well. I have never competed but I think can offer some insight to a couple of questions

1) From what I have read, sweet is the way to go in competition.

2) I don't know how prevalent injecting is but I have read where Mr. Minion injects his butts and that makes them very juicy. BTW, you are right, those were some huge injectors...never seen any that big before.

3) The Big Pig Jig is a MIM sanctioned contest (as opposed to a KCBS). I think all that display setup stuff and the judges coming to visit is one of the differences between a MIM contest and a KCBS contest. I don't believe the KCBS circuit goes through that. Their presentation score is based on how it's arranged in the box. I could be way off base on this though.

4) My take would be whatever works for you. It's a tool, nothing else
-----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

That was a MIM competition and there is a very large number of teams that do inject, you do find more KCBS teams doing now days also.
It is a good technique and is a great way to flavor into large cuts of meat.
Jim

Hey guys,
I've only competed twice (once as a mentoree and once as a team member) but here goes.

In KCBS, since six different people judge your entry at once, it seems to me that judging can subjective. I could be wrong but I think it's hard to tell who is going to like their BBQ sweet or spicy that day.

KCBS has a "blind" judging system. That is, your team is given a numbered box for presentation, and then at turn in, the people in charge cover that number with a second number. So judges never know who's entry they're judging.

As for set-ups, I've been blown away by the number of teams that just use a couple of WSM's and win quite a consistently.

Foiling seems to be split down the middle. I agree, if it works for you, use it.

Gary T.

B.M.
I used one wsm a few weeks ago at a contest near Kansas City.
Using one bullit wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did one brisket, one slab, one butt, and two chickens. The butt got wrapped at 5 am, the slab and the butt both fit on the top rack nicely.
The brisket never got wrapped until it was done and went in the cooler. Once I pulled the butt off, I put on two whole chickens. I enjoyed cooking with one pit and less meat. There was a lot less things to keep track of.
I used the Minion method and got a good five hours of sleep. I didn't have a thermometer with me. I just felt the top of the bullit with my hand. If I can count to three before it burns, the temp is good.
Jump right in there and give it a try. It's fun.

SC Cue.....

I have competed many times at the BigPigJig! It really was my training ground and one of the first contests I attended. I cooked with others, NOT by myself, and learned so much from these folks.

First thing when competing...ask questions...you are off to a good start!! LOL Also, you are cooking for judges..NOT yourself or your friends. So, you better cook stuff that is suitable for these judges. EG..I love my ribs really hot, but would never dream of submitting a hot rib in any sanctioned contest.

So, here is my take on your questions......

1. Sweet, sweet, sweet! Don't even bother with anything else! Yes, judging is and always will be subjective, but the trend of sweet is a given. Also, don't even think about trying anything non-traditional....the judges are expecting BBQ, which is normally red based sauces that are sweet. I have met others who have tried pushing the envelope in taste.....Chinese sauces, tropical sauces, etc. NONE I have ever seen have won or even placed high. I have talked with judges who will mark you down on taste if you use a non-traditional sauce.

More and more of the events are finding Certified judges and they are especially prone to traditional sauces with a sweet edge.

2. On the MIM circuit, EVERYBODY injects EVERYTHING! Even their chicken wings! That is why you see the large injectors...they can draw an unlimited amount of juice from large wash tubs or 5 gallon pails. They need these big units because they cook an incredible amount of meat and they are cooking whole hogs. Shoulders(15 lbers. normally) and hogs take LOTS of fluid!

On the KCBS circuit, as Jim mentioned, you see more and more folks doing this.

The only meat not injected are ribs, but they are marinated for about 6 hours.

Personally, I have tried and abandonded the injecting of my butts. There are some issues when injecting....tracking marks, intense seasoned spots and discoloration of the inside meat. MIM cooks usually cook 10-15 shoulders at a time..with that much meat, you can easily find good meat to enter, but, if you are cooking just one...like most KCBS folks....these problems become large issues.

3. MIM is judged on 2 things......On-site and blind box. The blind box accounts for 60% of the judging score...at least I think that is the current weighting. The onsite stuff can be overwhelming to a rookie..BUTTTT I have been to many contests where guys show up with very small rigs and tent areas and do just fine. You will need to drag around tables and chairs...for the judging...3 judges are invited at separate times for on-site judging in the preliminary round of judging. If you make it to the finals, you will have 3 judges on-site at the same time, so you need room for them to sit and enjoy.

Not sure about the Top 10 as I normally don't hang aorund and see the final, final results. MIM has 2 steps in the finals outcome...Round 1, where everyone competes, then the Finals round where the Top 3 teams re-submit all their meats...hence the large amount of meat that is cooked.

4. When I attended my first Memphis in May event, I thought I was at a Reynolds convention!! Foiling is VERY prevalent on the MIM circuit. I won't say everybody does it, but I feel safe in saying that upwards of 75% foil all their meats.

Now, keep in mind, on the MIM circuit, they only cook pork...NO chicken or brisket..so they are foiling ribs, shoulders and their whole hogs.

Personally, I will continue to foil, especially my ribs. My scores in ribs skyrocketed once I got my foiling times down. I continue to think that foiling results in a superior product and that is what I am after.....damn the traditonalists!! LOL

I would encourage you to maybe consider cooking a KCBS event first and then moving up to the MIM circuit.

Hope this gives you a little info.

Move up to MIM! MOVE UP TO MIM!!!
Sorry Stogie. I can't let you get away with that one. I think you mean, Move DOWN to MIM from KCBS.
It requires much more skill to win a KCBS contest than a MIM contest. You must be proficient in four categories. Chicken, ribs, shoulder/butt, and brisket. In MIM you only have to win one category. Heck, you only need to cook one category. Any lunkhead can cook some shoulders and win a MIM contest. I personally know several lunkheads who have.
(My apologies Chris. I'm terribly sorry for disturbing the peace)
db

DB!!

LOL!! You are absolutely correct and I agree 100%!

What I meant was "moving up" in the context of all that extra gear you need to haul around and all that extra meat you will need to cook. You also need a spiel for onsite judging...something many may have trouble with.

KCBS does require mastering those additional cooking skills....not an easy thing to do. Sorta like golfing.....when your driving is OK, your putting and short game suffer and vice versa. To win in golf you need all 3 parts to be in sync. So, getting all the meats perfect is indeed VERY difficult.

I just did my first BBQ competition this weekend and loved it. For a first competition, I highly recommend (if you can find one) the one day competitions (no overnighter butts or brisket). Here in the Northwest, the Pacific Northwest BBQ ***'n (PNWBA) puts on several "Light" BBQ competitions where you cook ribs, chicken, salmon, sausage and sometimes vegitables. Set up is early in the morning and you are done by late afternoon. Its a great experience and easy on your weekend time.

I was my own team (just me) and cooked with my WSM and Kettle. There were many teams with similar set ups and an equal number with the big Klose rigs or various styles of offsets. Its a great learning experience and a somewhat puzzling one as well. I didn't do well with the meats I thought were my best, but placed 5th with the meat (ribs) that I was the most disappointed with. I thought I overcooked them. Go figure.

I also recommend taking the Paul Kirk BBQ class when it comes to your neck of the woods. Its a mock competition class where you learn how to select, cook, and present a variety of meats under the KCBS rules. It definitely helped with the competition basics.

I don't think I will be joining the BBQ circuit, (I'm sure they are breathing a sigh of relief /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ), but I will definitely compete again. It takes your hobby to a whole new level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back