BBQ Chicken for a crowd - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I’m going to make some BBQ chicken for a crowd (about 45-50) to be served at lunchtime, so I’ll probasbly have to cook the day before.

I’ll butcher whole chickens so I can get pieces that are pretty uniform in size, and will brine and cook the parts. I was thinking of cutting the breast halves in half (4 pieces of breast meat per bird) AFTER cooking and will most likely bone them at that time. Also, I’ll need to serve the drumsticks separated from the thighs.

Q: Any advice on pit temps and cooking times? If I have to cook them the day before, it looks as if the skin won’t be an issue anyway.

Q: Would it be better to cut the chicken breasts in half BEFORE I cook? I’m thinking they would be more likely to dry out.

Q: Should I cut the drumsticks and thighs apart BEFORE I cook them so that they will cook faster and would be more space-efficient on the WSM racks? On the other hand, they would be easier to move around if I left them whole. ???

Q: I have two BGE extender racks. How many cut-up chickens can I fit in my bullet?

Thanks all,
Rita

My thoughts:

Get your temp to 350+ before putting on the meat. It'll drop when you get the chicken on but maintain 300 or so. Sand instead of water will facillitate this. I'd figure 2 hours to cook.

Cut the breasts after cooking; it'll dry if done prior. I wouldn't bother boning, frankly. Cheat the breasts into the cooler areas of the grill so that they're less likely to overcook (but be prepared to pull them earlier).

I would cut the leg/thighs prior to save time later and because you really need to break the joint anyway before cooking so that they'll cook more evenly. Might as well just cut them at the outset.

I'm thinking you can fit 25 or so lbs of chicken parts with your setup.

You could undercook slightly and re-heat in an oven on racks at a fairly high temp.

You could invite me to lunch!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tips, Kevin and Greg.

Well, Kevin, it’s a bit of a drive for you, but come on up.
icon_wink.gif

It’ll be a recipients’ luncheon for the folks (and their families) who have just completed a 2-week training session at Canine Assistants prior to taking their new Service Dogs home with them. We are proud to have one of CA’s breeder dogs who is aptly named.....are you ready for this?.....Weber! Really.

Here’s more information and pictures of Weber:

http://gpsinformation.us/rita/Weber.html **

And Canine Assistants:

http://www.canineassistants.org/

The “gpsinformation” part of the URL is my DH Jack’s and his friend Joe’s GPS Information site. They test and rate most or all of the new hand-held GPS’s as they come out. They don’t sell them, though, so that they can remain objective. The actual site is:

http://gpsinformation.net

Hmm, this isn’t intended as a plug; no money involved, and I’m just sharing what the luncheon is about. Chris, if you don’t feel this message is quite appropriate, feel free to delete as you see fit.

Best,
Rita

Very cool, Rita. And Weber looks like a charmer.

I'm in El Paso on my way to San Diego so it's really a drive.
icon_smile.gif

Very good cause Rita.
I have a neighbor on my street that is involved in assistance dog training. She's had three or four since moving into or neighborhood.

You have two (that know more than I) giving tips, so I'll just say "good luck on your cook".

Hope all works out for everyone involved.

Rita

Definitely use a dry water pan. I would leave the breast whole and maybe the legs and thighs connected. This way you have less ends to dry out. You might be able to do 6 butt can chickens (3 on top and 3 on bottom rack) and then cut them up. That would be 60 pieces, if you quarter the breast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Serra:
Rita

Definitely use a dry water pan. I would leave the breast whole and maybe the legs and thighs connected. This way you have less ends to dry out. You might be able to do 6 butt can chickens (3 on top and 3 on bottom rack) and then cut them up. That would be 60 pieces, if you quarter the breast <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi Tony, I easily got six ~2lb birds in my WSM laying down. I think I could easily fit in a dozen standing up.

I'm interested to se what your results are. I am going to cook for some family next april. Was going to cook about 4 butts then wrap and put in a cooler while I cooked about 6 chickens. Figure they take about an hour wide open.

You could do beer can chickens and then pull them like pulled pork, very good. You could get at least 6 per smoker I would think.

Hey mike, I was thinking the same thing but instead of pulling them I'd still quarter them. I got some beer can stands that a friend of mine welded and can fit 4 chicks per rack (depending on the size of course). I prefer keeping them whole until the end for moisture reasons. Although I do smoke halves from time to time.

Something to think about: A while ago, Jim Minion mentioned that with Beer Can Chicken, the breasts are up in the cooker where the heat is higher and you run the risk of drying out the breasts before the dark meat is done.

Jim, if I'm misrepresenting what you meant, please correct me.

Has anyone tried putting the chickens on the stands upside down????
icon_confused.gif

I guess they'd wobble....somehow that picture reminds me of synchronized swimming.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... Has anyone tried putting the chickens on the stands upside down ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I've been thinking about trying that too ... I oven roast birds breast down and really like the results .... I don't see why you couldn't vertically roast upside down if your stand works and you tie the chicken up a bit.

I stuff part of an onion in the chickens neck hole or you can use a hot pepper any veg. to just plug it upI think they are moist and juice.
I like it pulled with Baby Ray`s Hot & Spicy.
Hey Matt that a thumbs up on the beer and cigars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back