BBQ Barbarian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Sanchez

TVWBB Super Fan
Esteemed Colleagues,

At the risk of sounding like some kind of BBQ bararian /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif , I was wondering if anyone else uses their leather gloves in an "all purpose" sort of way.....

1. I use my leather yard gloves to handle the hot coal chimney.

2. Use the same gloves for all aspects of the BBQ which involve hot surfaces.

3. Use the same gloves to rotate my butts, ribs, chickens etc.

4. Use the same gloves for handling the greasy grates after the clean-up. (I don't get them wet though)

These old leather gloves work great. The fingers are darkend because of the grease and so forth - but I love 'em.

The heavy rubber gloves that I bought for handling meat do not handle hot-heavy-butts very well because the meat is slippery. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Is this use of my gloves a complete violation of sanitary cooking practices?

Or, have I simply reverted to my cave-man ancestry where the words "sanitary" and "cooking" are not spoken in the same sentence?

As an attempt at redemption, I'd like everyone to know that I wash my hands after every use of the bathroom! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Would anybody else like to come forth right now, and fess-up to any of their unhealthful cooking ways?

Anybody?

-Albert

Hey Albert,

I use my welder gloves for all but handling food.

I bought the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie several years ago before I started Q'ing seriously. They included a pair of insulated rubber gloves. I handle the meat with those.

I also use them to put the lower grate in my WSM when it's hot. The leather gloves are too heavy to risk dropping something.

Howard

I have a pair of gloves that are the twin to yours. After the last cook they walked down the driveway by themselves and I had to replace them. I use heavy leather home depot gloves for everything except handling meat. I use tongs, a turkey lifter or a big bbq flipper with clean cottons gloves to move meat around. If I am taking off hot butts or rolls that have been in foil I use the leather gloves to prevent burns.

Warning!!! I did the same thing for my first year using my WSM. I used a pair of leather work gloves to do everything from lifting hot grates to turning meat. However, the fingers became so impregnated with grease that the heat from the hot grates or meat was immediately transmitted thru the glove to my fingers. During the Oregon Open competition last summer, I burned my fingers thru the gloves bad enough to raise dime sized blisters on my finger tips. I threw the gloves away and bought Wells Lamont neoprene coated gloves for handling the meat and new leather gloves for the hot grates/WSM (My neoprene melted a bit while adjusting the vents once so I only use them for the meat.)

I use my welding gloves for everything except touching the food - handling the hot grates and chimney, adding briquets, hauling firewood, weeding the garden, lifting heavy or absolutely filthy stuff. Oh yeah, and welding.

Or, you can just replace them at the point when you start to feel the heat thru the glove fingers. I ignored the early warning signs and kept using them until I really burned myself. Believe me, you can't get the gloves off fast enough.

Hi Albert, I've been using leather gloves for every aspect of BBQ/smoking as well. I get those Stanley $1.98 leather gloves at Home Depot. A pair will last 3 or 4 smoking sessions.

I did break down and got some of those 12" long 400* vinyl gloves to handle meat. That way I can wash them as I clean the grills on my smokers. If I don't like them I'll just keep using the leather ones!

Mark

Hi Albert, you're really getting in the spirit of this thing (BBQ) - I would get some neoprene or Thermaprene gloves. Like wet side towels in the kitchen, grease will transmit the heat. Also, if you're rotating partially cooked meat (especially chicken) and then pulling the meat with the same leather gloves, you could make somebody really sick. Especially if you're serving elderly, young, or already ill people, you have to be careful. My worst nightmare is making a bunch of relatives and in-laws sick (especially since many of them are old.)

Tom,

Yes, a wise precaution.

I had food-poisoning a few years back (bad lobster in Boston)..... Thought I was gonna die.

Thank you.

-Albert

Mark,

That's a good idea (the $1.98 gloves).

I'll need "start" to use my thick rubber gloves for turning the meat - as there are some health risks in doing otherwise.

Thanks Mark!

-Albrt

Those look like some nice gloves. As an aside, I have purchased from Serv-U in the past, and other than one hiccup on a discontinued item, they were great to deal with.

Doug, the only hiccup I experienced is that the credit card expiration date field defaulted back to 2007 and I didn't notice it before I hit the send button! I need to remember to check all data before I order. I'm bad about that!

My problem was incorrect inventory showing on a low stock disc. item. The good thing about them is if you have to deal with them by phone, you will be transferred to the same person you talked to on previous occasions to make sure things don't get messed up further.

Gloves? You mean your suppose to use gloves when smoking? Perhaps thats my problem..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif . Seriously, I Use the neopreme for food handling, they clean great and I have had no problems with slippery meat (in the smoker /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). I would prefer not to risk any health issues since I am always sharing smoked stuff with friends. Hope this helps.

Steve,

I've had my meat (on the smoker /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) slip through my neoprene clad hands onto the deck.

Only happened once - as I'm careful to grasp my meat (on the smoker /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) more carefully ever since then.

Yes, neoprene gloves do clean up nicely.

-Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back