BB Ribs & Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave A

TVWBB Member
I am cooking up 3 racks of BB ribs and an 8 pound brisket flat for my son's birthday tomorrow. I've smoked each individually, but never together. How long do you think it will take, and which one should go on the top rack?

Thanks!!!

I'd figure around 1.5-2 hr/lb. for the brisket, and around 4-6 hrs for the ribs, not counting foiled 'rest' time. I'd start the brisket on the top rack, and move it to the bottom rack when you put the ribs on. With 3 racks, you'll probably need a rib rack or roll'em.

Eight pounds is a pretty decent size flat, and will take quite a bit longer than the ribs. If you do both together, the ribs would be better on top, since there will be more "tending" (basting, flipping, foiling-- if you wish). The problem doing them together will be-- if you start them together-- that the ribs will have to be held quite a long time wating for the brisket to be done, and you'll have to get up awfully early to start the brisket. If you start the brisket first, and then add the ribs when you estimate the time left on the brisket equals the rib cooking time, you will have an issue with maintaining the cooker temp for a period when the ribs first go on.

I would suggest starting the brisket right now and oven-finishing it later tonight, doing the ribs tomorrow, and re-heating the brisket in time for the rib finishing time.

Always remember, when cooking for guests, not to spoil the party trying to have everything magically done in time for a projected dinner time.

OK - I decided to put the brisket on around midnight and then went to bed. At 5:15, the wife got up and checked the temp, it was at 225. I just put the brisket in the oven to finish it off at 830am. Question - How should I reheat the brisket? We are going to eat around 3pm - Thanks!!

Dave,
Depending on how long it takes to finish in the oven you may be able to "hold" it in a cooler. Normally they stay hot for 3-4 hours. Wrap it tightly in HD aluminum foil, then wrap it in a thick towel or blanket and put it in a pre-warmed cooler. Pour hot water in the cooler and close the lid about 20 min before you put the brisket in. Of course pour the water out before you put the brisket in. If you do have to reheat it foil it with liquid and put it in about 225* oven. Good luck hope it turns out good.

Oh I forgot you had ribs going on the WSM, you could just put the foiled finished brisket back on the WSM for the last hour of the rib cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back