BB Bacon ? a little salty

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Peoples

Finished my first bacon last night and fryed some for breakfast. It was very very good and I probley will not be buying any more store bacon.

One problem was for our taste it was a little salty. I don`t know if I should shorten the brineing time or rinse the meat longer.

Whats you thoughts on this.

Charlie /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

How long did you soak the bacon? If you followed the directions, 2 hours and changed the water, you could try an additional 15 minutes or so, I don't think it would hurt.

I have seen other posts where folks have shortened the curing time, don't know if that would help or not. Hopefully they will chime in here.

Did you use the Hi Mountain cure or a self made type?

I'm pretty sensitive to salt, and the Hi Mountain cure was fine for me after just a 1 hour soak. A day or two less in the brine apparently doesn't hurt at all, many have done that. Dont be afraid the rinse the meat very well after soaking. I usually then add black pepper and
either sugar or molasses before smoking, which helps with the saltiness.

Jim,

Yes it was High Mountian Cure. Like your idea of of black pepper and brown sugar, molasses. Tell me how you apply them. Thanks

Charlie /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'll answer that, since I use maple syrup and pepper (and sometimes maple syrup AND brown sugar, and sometimes just brown sugar) before I smoke mine, too.

So how to do it is sooo easy. Just before I smoke it, I just rub it down with maple syrup (however much it takes) and then I sprinkle cracked pepper liberally over it, or rub brown sugar into it with or without the syrup. Easy as pie.

I found my bacon got too salty if I used a bit too much cure for the amount of meat I had. End pieces are always saltier, too, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back