Bayou Classic Leg and Wing Rack

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I received my Bayou Classic Leg and Wing Rack today. I had already scheduled some drumsticks for my wife and I, so it was a no brainer - try out the new rack.

They say never to change more than one thing at a time. Well, I decided to also try out Larry Wolfe's (aka The Wolfe Pit) Orange Marmelade Sriracha Wings recipe.

My wife and I both are fans of "medium hot" NOT fans of "Fire Alarm Hot". I was just a bit apprehensive as I had never used Sriracha Sauce before.

My fears were unfounded. Frankly, I just trusted in Larry's advice and went with his recipe without adjustment. I would term the sauce as "medium" - just about like I prefer.

We brined the six drumsticks in a medium sized bowl with a tablespoon of Kosher Salt for about 40 minutes before patting dry and grilling. That was enough salt. I added no other spices as the sauce appeared to have enough spice (and did).

The drumsticks cooked slower than laying them on the grill indirect (See Cook's Country Classic Barbecued Chicken). They were just beginning to brown after thirty minutes:

chickenrack-1177.jpg

I reversed the rack (be VERY careful not to have the drumsticks fall off the rack) and continued. All cooking was done covered with the vents open. I used a full Weber Chimney of charcoal on one side with a pan on the bottom under the chicken (the picture perspective kind of makes you think that part of the rack is over the coals - not so. The rack is over the throw away pan).

I discovered a disadvantage of the rack - it is difficult to sauce the legs without them falling off the rack. I ended up using the tongs, removing each leg and saucing it off the grill. It doesn't take long and does a better job.

One problem, I didn't start saucing quite early enough and only sauced one time (I was concerned that the chicken would be too done). After thirty minutes and switching the rack, I would suggest you start saucing. I would further suggest at LEAST two times. I believe most would prefer three times. I found no need to finish over direct.

I pulled the chicken when my Thermapen "said" to. To help make up for being "under sauced" I used some of the reserve sauce at the table. It worked beautifully in that role, also.

The skin was crisp and the meat was incredibly tender and juicy. It was also cooked clear through.

chickenrack-1180.jpg

I am extremely pleased with both the rack and the sauce.

The rack allows me to do two to four more drumsticks than I can do lying on the grille with the Classic method.

The sauce is not better than regular barbecue sauce - but it is equal to the best I have ever eaten. It is a great choice when I want to "change the pace" or kick it up a notch.

I would like to thank Larry Wolfe for sharing this recipe with us.

Dale53

I always forget to subscribe to threads, so I just noticed you posted a link to this in your other thread. If you have leftover sauce try it on some pork chops sometime if your bored.

Rob_Fox;
I would agree that it would be good with the pork chops.

I and my wife are both pork fans. We typically would rather have pork chops than steak.

Dale53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I reversed the rack (be VERY careful not to have the drumsticks fall off the rack) and continued.

I discovered a disadvantage of the rack - it is difficult to sauce the legs without them falling off the rack. I ended up using the tongs, removing each leg and saucing it off the grill. It doesn't take long and does a better job.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you think it would make sense to put the sauce on a tall container and then just dip each drumstick in to sauce it? At the same time, you could return them to the opposite side of the rack rather than try to move the loaded rack. (Maybe you did dip and just didn't say so.)

Hank B;
The reason for the rack is to increase the capacity of my grill (only needed when I have a crowd here). That is why you see both sides of the rack used with only six drumsticks. I was "practicing" with my new equipment.

Yes, dipping the legs or wings makes lots of sense. That is what I ended up doing but my container was not tall and narrow. I have also decided to "upgrade" the container to "tall and narrow".

So, for 10 or less pieces, I will just lay on the grille. For more than ten pieces, I will use the rack. There is no denying that the rack allows more consistent heat to reach all parts of the legs and wings.

Barbecuing is a continuing story...

Dale53

i hope its ok for me to bring up this thread. i am wanting to get a leg rack... but i would really need two of them. i usually make at least 20 legs.

just wondering if two of these racks would fit on a 22? i dont know if the grill that is pictured here is a 22 or 18.

Becky M-M;
The grill I am using in the pictures is a Weber 22.5" OTG.

I believe that you MAY be able to get two racks on the grill, particularly if you use two fire bricks to hold the coals up against the side. It may be a bit tight, but I believe it will work. I suggest you get two racks from a local source with the proviso that you can return one if there isn't room.

Then, you can let us know if it WILL or WILL NOT be practical!(:&gt
icon_wink.gif
)

Just a thought...

All the best,
Dale53

thanks Robert.... i am getting a lengthy order together from amazon and had the same thought about removing the racks and picking them up local.

i have the charcoal holders and was able to get some pretty good middle cooking area by pushing them pretty far apart earlier this week.

thanks for answering.... i am getting excited about all my new stuff i will be getting.

How does that thing work for wings? And what's the capacity? I've been doing a lot of smoked Buffalo wings lately and would like to be able to make them for a crowd sometime. Putting a second rack on top using my charcoal rails allows me to get 2 dozen (split) wings on easily, but I'd love to be able to do double that.

Back