Basting, is it really necessary?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
A lot of folks talk about basting, but i was wondering if it really helps. It seems none of the moisture gets intot he meat, but rather evaporates quickly. Besides, the more you baste, the more you are opening the lid and lettting head escape.

I am new at this and generally don't baste b/c of the loss of heat. If i am making a big mistake, pls advise. Also, is basting more important for butts vs. ribs, etc.?

Your inference is correct: None of the moisture gets into the meat.

Basting with a water-based baste (water, wine, stock, etc.) cools the meat via evaporation and slows cooking. Basting with a fat-based baste speeds cooking as it reduces evaporation at the surface level.

Basting can add flavors to the meat's surface. I baste some fowl only and do not baste brisket, butt or ribs. Others have different views. Many here baste ribs, spraying them through the vent holes or with a quick lift of the lid, to add a little flavor, often apple, to the surface. This can be useful if one doesn't glaze or sauce ribs before serving; it gets lost, imo, if you do.

Brining gets moisture into the meat, basting adds a flavor component to the meat, but not much in the way of moisture.

I spray butts and ribs with apple juice 4 or 5 times over the last hour - hour and a half of cooking, I like to spray a number of thin layers and allow them to form a "candy crust", if you have the temp up around the 250° - 275° the sugars will be starting to caramelize, from the apple juice.

If I am basting ribs that have had a heavy rub, I sometimes use a vinegar baste, and mop it on the upper surface, again only for the last hour – hour and a half, but I do turn them twice I like more on the meat side less on the bone side.

In Peace, Love and BBQ by Mike Mills, he states that 3-4 times while cooking. He feels that you should mop or baste at this point as the ribs will absorb the flavor of the mop.

Personally, I like his rib recipe.

Back