Basting Brisket - What's the Point?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi -

A question about brisket basting: do you baste the fat side or only the non-fat side?

Thanks.

I just finished competing in the Canadian Championships at Whistler and had a chance to speak with the top 2 finishers in brisket. In particular, one of them used the Half Time Flip and basted each time. I?m not sure if the HTF is a common method but I think it has some value. Although my brisket was tender, it was not as moist as the money winners. One of them, from North Vancouver, BC, basted each time he flipped. I think he cooked his for 12 hours, flipping (over and north/south) and basting after 6 hours, then again 3 hours later, then the last time 1.5 hours later.

In my limited experience (2 Briskets), I've found that basting with a mop a couple or three times enhances the "bark" on the brisket.

What a good basic baste. I do the apple juice thing but would be open to try a baste to get some good bark as mentioned above.

BTW, I realized I didn't really answer your question before. I have only mopped the fat (top) side. I trim the fat cap off before serving, but I still think the mop adds to the flavor of the meat and the "bark" on the non-fat portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back