Basic brisket question

Dave/G

TVWBB Emerald Member
When using the Minion method for brisket cook, when does the meat go on the cooker? When temp reaches my desired range or before, as the temp is climbing to the range?

Dave, you need to put the meat on before you reach temp. If you wait, you might have a hard time controlling your temp from getting to high. Also, I would only use 8-10 lit coals to start your fire.

As usual, you are quick. thanks to both of you. I split the difference and used 9 lit. Going good and under control.

Is it that obvious that I would rather talk to you people on this board that do what pays my bills? Sad, I know! I just like to say I am a good multitasker! Good luck with the cook. Let me know how it goes. I have never done a brisket. I hat it at a restaurant one time and did not like it. I want to give it a second try.

When I'm doing a long Minion smoke, I rub the meat while the chimney of coals is getting hot. Ring of coal is full, water pan is full. Soon as the chimney is ready, I dump it in the pan, add wood, assemble the cooker, and on goes the meat. I use the cold meat to help bring the temps up slowly. This helps with smoke ring formation, so I hear, also.

I've probably done over a dozen overnighers, mostly butts and packers, and usually they come out pretty good
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I did my second smoke a couple of days ago. I tried a 7lb brisket. I did a modified Minion...3/4 fill of the charcoal chamber with a full chimney of lit charcoal on top. I put the brisket on as the temp was coming up. The temp initially spiked around 270, then settled in the 235-245 range within 30 minutes. As this was only my second smoke, I was amazed at how rock steady the temp held. After 7 hours, I removed the brisket and let it rest for 30 minutes. It was the best brisket I ever had! The neighbors loved it too.

Walt,
So a 7 lb brisket requires a full ring of coals and after 7 hours it was done? Pretty good. I didn't realize that. I thought you could get away with less coals,say a 1/2 - 3/4 ring full, not that I'm trying to save on coals. I am curious, at what temp was the brisket when you pulled it off, if you tested it? My briskets seem to take longer than an hour a pound at about the same temps. I know all WSM's are slightly different. I am just curious. Did you foil at all during the cook?

Dave,
A 7lb brisket probably doesn't require a full ring of coals. Since I'm new to smoking, I didn't know whether the smoke would take 7 hrs or closer to 10 (1.5 hrs/lb). I had quite a few coals left when I took off the brisket, so I'm sure you can get away with less coals. I'd rather have too many than have to add later.

I did not foil at all during the cook. I only checked the meat at the 7 hour mark. It's at that point that I also discovered that all of the water in the pan had evaporated (I probably should have filled it a little more at the beginning).

I didn't use a thermometer to check the meat temp. I cut into it and found perfection so I took it off and let it rest. On a thicker piece of meat, like a pork butt, I'd probably be better served to use an internal thermometer. I used a basic Taylor candy thermometer in the top vent to measure the smoker temp.

As I cut into the brisket, I found a perfect 1/8 inch smoke ring around it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger P:
When I'm doing a long Minion smoke, I rub the meat while the chimney of coals is getting hot. Ring of coal is full, water pan is full. Soon as the chimney is ready, I dump it in the pan, add wood, assemble the cooker, and on goes the meat. I use the cold meat to help bring the temps up slowly. This helps with smoke ring formation, so I hear, also.

I've probably done over a dozen overnighers, mostly butts and packers, and usually they come out pretty good
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd totally agree with what Roger here said. We've done our butts just like that and they've come out perfectly and hold steady temps once you get them up there. It works like a charm.

Back