BarBQ Championship, foiled ribs whole time

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I have read a bit about foiling ribs and butts during the last part of cooking but was surprised the championship show i was watching on tv showed all three cooks foiling spares for the entire 4-5 hour cook. What's the benefit vs. the compromise?

do you do it that way too? The cooks pulled the meat from the foil for a few minutes to carmelalize the sause.

Morning David, I missed that show so I can only hazard a guess. Did they actually foil from beginning to end or is it possible that the camera did not show everything in between?

Being in foil that long would create a falling off the bone, mushy end product. Thats not what KCBS tells us is a good rib, but it is what the general masses look for in a rib. Keep in mind the judges are not comp KCBS judges either, they are part of the masses.

just,my thoughts

One thing's for sure - no smoke's gonna get through that impenetrable metal shield, so what's the point of cooking 'em on a BBQ?

Ribs in foil for 4-5 hours would technically be "fell off the bone".

I have learned to be very skeptical of-- and am, more often than not, amused by-- both the editing of cooking shows and claims made by barbecue competitors under the glare of TV camera lights.

Are you talking about Championship BBQ on the VS channel? If so I think I would have to foil spares for most of the cook. The time limit from start to end is a killer.

If everyone is not familiar with their rules.. The cooks have 6 hours to cook the first meat. From "Go" the cooks have to select their meat, visit the pantry to get spices & seasoning, trim the meat and get it on the cooker. Then have it plated before the end of the 6 hours. Actual cooking time could be as little as 4.5 hours.

I don't usually do spares but I don't think they could be done in the time constraint without a long time in foil. As to smoke, smoke can be added at anytime. Besides thay probably mixed in some liquid smoke in the sauce.

Yes the judges aren't KCBS certified judges. Outside of comp people I'd say 99% of the public wants falling off the bone ribs.

Ribs, in a oven pan coverd with foil for 2.5 hours at 300 degrees in the oven, transferred to charcoal/wood (Hickory) for 45 minutes are awesome. Use the BRITU rub on them, spray with apple juice when putting on the charcoal hot fire. You might be shocked at how good they are!!!

Back