1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 12 to 14 lb. turkey, spatchcocked by your butcher,
wing tips removed and reserved
Kosher salt
4 TB. unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 TB. cold butter,
cut into pieces
1 12 oz. bottle pilsner
1 TB. dijon mustard

1. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Combine spices in a bowl. Pat turkey dry with paper towel and put breast-side up on a rack set on a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Season the turkey with 1 TB. salt and rub with the spice mixture. Brush the the turkey with the melted butter. Tuck the reserved wing tips under the rack and pour the beer onto the baking sheet.
3. Roast the turkey until the skin is golden brown and a thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 160, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. (Tent the turkey with foil if the skin gets too dark.) Let rest 30 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cutting board to carve.
4. Pour the pan drippings into a fat separator and let stand until the fat rises to the top. Discard the fat (or drizzle on your stuffing). Pour the defatted drippings into a large skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat and cooked until reduced by half, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the 2 TB. cold butter and the mustard. Serve the turkey with the pan sauce.

Source: Food Network mag. Nov. 2022

As far as chicken goes, I prefer the dark meat, but when it comes to turkey, I can only eat the white meat. I wonder how this would work with just a turkey breast? :unsure:

Back