balsamic vinegar

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am trying to create my own signature bbq sauce and I am thinking of useing balsamic vinegar for the base. I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions on some things they might throw in if they were using this as a staple in their sauce. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I don't think that balsamic vinegar would be very appropriate for a Carolina style sauce. Balsamic is far too sweet. This is only my opinion, of course.

Kevin,

I cook quite often with balsamic in sauces. I reduce it a good bit and use it as a base. It is sweet, but not sugary so. For me, it is a good base for a brown or tomato sauce. Am not sure about in a yellow sauce. Anyway, it is my favorite additive. Good luck with it!!!

Sounds like it will be a top-dollar sauce?
SS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KEVIN:
[qb] I am trying to create my own signature bbq sauce and I am thinking of useing balsamic vinegar for the base. I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions on some things they might throw in if they were using this as a staple in their sauce. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet. I am going to test some sauces out on the family this weekend. I will list the winner. thanks again.

Hey everybody I am still messing aroung with my sauce. This sauce is mainly going to be used for pork. I'll keep everyone posted.

Kevin,

One sauce that I have made using balsamic that has become something of an all purpose sauce is half balsamic, half yellow mustard, sweetened with honey to taste, and reduced by about one half. We use it a good deal on pork roasts, etc., and as a dipping sauce. Leftover is bottled and used on sandwiches.

I know that is not a detailed recipe, but it changes with each batch. Anyway, it works well and thought you might could use the information.

Good Luck!!!

Hey Kevin,
I like balsamic vinegar too. I kept waiting to hear of your success. Today I found a glaze. In Raichlen's How to Grill: Honey-Balsamic Glaze:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

Boil and simmer 6-8 min. Reduce to about 1/2 cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back