Baked Beans from scratch

Bob Haskins

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever done scratch baked beans under a couple of butts? I would think a long slow cook on the beans would work well. Some salt pork, onions, foil the top to start and let the drippings fall for the last 3 or 4 hours. Any thoughts? I have only seen recipes for canned beans doing this. Thanks!!

Sure. I do it wether i'm making beans from scratch or doctoring up canned beans.
icon_smile.gif

I would still boil the beans before putting them on. The low temp, even for overnight, might not be enough to get them tender.....Unless you like crunchy baked beans.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Greenia:
I would still boil the beans before putting them on. The low temp, even for overnight, might not be enough to get them tender.....Unless you like crunchy baked beans.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah follow the directions soak beans overnight, boil ..................... and instead of baking in a 350 degree oven bake them in the WSM till done.
icon_wink.gif

I've always been real hesitant to do anything with the drippings since I did my first turkey and tried to make gravey from the some of the drippings.

It was so salty I couldn't do anything with it.

Of course my turkey was brined overnight which may have had something to do with it, but there is still a fair amount of salt in the rubs I use.

Does anyone know the rate at which the fat renders out of a butt? Like do you get most of the fat out over the first half of the cook, or the second half?

It definitely sounds like it would be good. I love those beans!

Anton -

I have no idea of the rate to which fat renders. However, don't hesitate to play with drippings from a butt - especially in beans. Even with a high salt rub, you won't get overly salty beans. Unlike brining, where all the meat has absorbed salinity, the rub is only on the outside. And most of it stays on the meat.

After a while, you get too much fat, so you just move it to the side, and when you take it off, it's easy to skim the excess.

Anton--

For turkey: Remove any excess fat from the turkey when you remove it from its package (take off the wing tips too, if desired (I do); save the fat and wings separately. Brine the turkey then make sure you rinse the bird well when you pull it out of the brine. When you make your rub, make it without salt or use just a pinch. Spray or coat your drip pan with oil. Add to the pan the reserved fat and wing tips and a cut up onion, stalk of celery, and perhaps a piece of carrot and a few celery stems. Normally, for an oven, I add just a little water, wine, stock, or a mix, to keep the aromatics and drippings from burning and replenish as needed. In the WSM or kettle--since I don't want to remove the cover while cooking--I add more liquid so I can be sure I won't have a problem. You can't really put too much liquid in. YAt the end of the cook you can pour off and save most of it, reduce the rest on top of your stove and create fond, deglaze with wine or stock, and make gravy from there, adding your the saved drippings you poured off.

On your other question: Rendering is greatest in the last half of the cook.

Back