Bail me out please. Burned on crap.

J Lee

So I skipped seasoning, thinking webers non-stick spray would do right by me.

Now I have tons of crap on my grate, and brushing isn't really doing much.

How do I get this grate back down to factory so I can season it and start over anew?

Scrape/brush as best as possible, oil the grill well, burn it hot for 1/2 hour or so, should re-season. And don't be too obsessed with an immaculate grate, it's a grate. Once it well seasoned, normal brushing and burn-offs and cooking should keep it seasoned well.

I highly recommend this brush by charbroil. It's fantastic at knocking off the big chunks and taking you back down to the metal. After quickly running this down each grate rod, I follow it with a 3M scrub brush. This combination has been working for me for a few years now.

I've never heard of (or thought of) seasoning a grate. Either I'm under thinking this or you may be over thinking it. I don't know. But, try the brush. It works well for me. I think you'll like it.

Oh, and after I clean it with brushes, I try to spin the grate around so that the spot where the food is going to be placed is over the fire to kill any bacteria left from the last cook. That's not always an option for every cook. But, that makes me feel like I've killed anything that might be left on there. After that, if I still feel like I need to, I'll take a damp dish towel dedicated to this and make a couple of quick passes. Most of the time, I do this step because I can't reach everywhere I want to when I'm burning off the bacteria.

Maybe I'm missing something. But, I wouldn't worry about seasoning the grate myself.

Turn the grill on High, close the lid and leave it for 15 minutes. Then turn off the gas and it should easily scrape clean using a wire brush.

Just purchased a new Q 3200. After assembling opened the grate package and, much to my surprise, they had a black, shiny, porcelain coating. From the pics I've seen on other posts my grates did not look like others. Cooked steaks, got a wonderful sear and finished in the middle of the grates with the center burner turned off. Absolutely delicious and the grates cleaned easily. Guess Weber is listening about the coating on their grates.

Back