Bad Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
My wife brought home 3 racks of the Smithfield Pork Loin ribs she got on sale at the store for $5 a pack. They are normally $15 or more a pack. I had originally told her to get as many packs as she could, because of the great price. Fortunately she got the last three. I pulled them off the smoker and let rest for a bit and then cut them up. As soon as I took my first bite I knew something was wrong! The meat was mushy and had an off tast to it! I tasted a rib from the other two racks, same thing. I tossed all three racks into the garbage. Better to be safe than sorry! I guess the point of this post is, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. For these ribs to be marked down so much something was wrong with them. They were not out dated. I will stick to the usual spares for now on!!

http://www.shutterfly.com/view/picture_dt.jsp?state=67b0de21b04cd38655ec&idx=7

Hey Laaaaaaarrry,
Did they look wrong, or smell odd when you opened them? How about the date on the package... had it pasted?

Chris,
They looked and smelled normal. They were dated 11/15/04. I dunno what was wrong. Maybe someone put them in the cart and half way through the store decided they didn't want them and put them on a shelf in the bread isle and they sat out too long? Just glad I wasn't entertaining and tried to feed that to company!
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... As soon as I took my first bite I knew something was wrong! The meat was mushy and had an off tast to it! I tasted a rib from the other two racks, same thing. I tossed all three racks into the garbage. Better to be safe than sorry! ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Larry, did you remember to light the briquettes in the WSM? Just kidding.

Too bad, that must have been a real dissappointment. As for the price and the off taste, it's very difficult for me to find fresh never frozen back ribs. Perhaps yours were previously frozen and had been frozen too long.

I pitched some once because of freezer burn taste, however they smelled and looked of it before I cooked them so I wasn't terribly suprised.

The rib meat will look brown or off white instead of red, the fat and the meat will seem dry and the membrane is nearly impossible to rip off.

Larry, do you have any uncooked ribs left? Perhaps you should call the store to alert them to your crisis!! I would!

Shawn,
The color and odor seemed to be fine.

Greg,
No they were all cooked and have been tossed.

Tom,
You may have a point about the enhancement. I will look the next time I am in the store to see if the ones I had were enhanced. They weren't salty just mushy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back