Back to back smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
Any tips for this?

I have 2 butts smokering away at 162* right now. When they reach temperature, I will pull foil/cooler them. Then, I would like to pack the bullet with chicken thighs for 3 hours.

Do you recommend I add more fuel?
(at this time I would be at an ~ 14 hr. burn)

Or maybe just stir the coals?

I imagine I will lose a lot of heat while I remove and add the cool meat.

Thanks,
~ Sean

You will lose heat when subtracting pork then adding cool meat. What temp do you want to cook the poultry at?

I try to cook it at 350 or 375 with no water in the pan(if you're using water). It helps to crisp the skin a bit. See how the coals look, I imagine you still have a while before the butts are done and that will tax your fuel load as well.

Take a look 15 minuets before you take the pork off the smoker and decide from there if more fuel is needed. If so, you can start up 20 or so coals and add them when you add the chicken!! Hope that helps!

I suggest stirring the coals, add the thighs and if your temp seems to be falling after an hour, then add some more lit coals. Your existing fire would probably handle the extra 3 hrs with the cooked meat, but the uncooked, cold chicken will be a new heat sink which will suck up some of your heat. On second thought, why not go ahead and add the new fuel when you put the thighs on.

Paul

I like the new fuel idea - I did not think of that.

Depending on time, I will either go w/out H2o at 375, or w/H2o and longer. Regardless I will throw them on the gasser for final touches.

Thanks guys.
~ Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back