Back ribs tonight

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So, we have grandson here, so, I decided to see if the last time I made ribs on Big Z was an anomaly (because they'd turned out so good). So, thought I'd try a repeat. Holy Cow it worked...................AGAIN! Cleaned up the bad butchering of the Costco slab, a little Killer Hogs Hot Rub, and on the grill at 235. They hit the stall, I bumped to 250 and let it run. I had the Chef IQ probes on each end. Big Z did it's job perfectly pouring out plenty of good smoke all the way through. Ambient sensors all reported it was holding it's temps rock solid. The Chef IQ's both hit 205 at the same time even though on opposite ends of the slab. Rested on the cutting board. Outstanding once again. Great smoke on them, kiss off the bones tender.
Very grateful to who gave me that advice of just letting them rock and not touching them.

So, we have grandson here, so, I decided to see if the last time I made ribs on Big Z was an anomaly (because they'd turned out so good). So, thought I'd try a repeat. Holy Cow it worked...................AGAIN! Cleaned up the bad butchering of the Costco slab, a little Killer Hogs Hot Rub, and on the grill at 235. They hit the stall, I bumped to 250 and let it run. I had the Chef IQ probes on each end. Big Z did it's job perfectly pouring out plenty of good smoke all the way through. Ambient sensors all reported it was holding it's temps rock solid. The Chef IQ's both hit 205 at the same time even though on opposite ends of the slab. Rested on the cutting board. Outstanding once again. Great smoke on them, kiss off the bones tender.
Very grateful to who gave me that advice of just letting them rock and not touching them.
Did you spritz them at all or just let it ride?

Nice work on the ribs! Sounds like you nailed it again with the Big Z smoker. "Kiss off the bones" tender and good smoke, that's what I'm talking about. Using probes on both ends is a smart idea, I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for the inspiration!

I never open the lid. Once they're on I don't touch the handle again until the probes show the protein is ready to be probed for tenderness. I don't care if it's a roast, ribs, brisket or pork shoulder. I don't believe in fiddling with the food :D
Words from the wise! I generally agree with that technique, just let them ride!

Back