baby blue weber kettle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
I scored this fella off of craigslist tonight.

http://troytime.com/babyblueweber.jpg

It needs a LOT of cleanup.
One of the daisy wheel vents on the bottom is missing completely.
The wheels are metal, and rusty.
There's a couple rust spots on the lid.
The wooden handle is rotten and split.

I've never restored a kettle before, but I can't wait to get started!
Any advice?

not sure why the url isn't linked.
Maybe embedding a smaller one will work...

babybluewebersmall.jpg

Scrub-a-dub-dub-

Some Greased Lightning and or hot/soapy water followed by some 000 or 0000 Steel Wool. That should get the bowl looking a lot better.

You can pick up a leg kit to get everything below the charcoal bowl as well as the replacement daisy wheel off of ebay. I bought a "Go Anywhere" grill off of Craigslist for $5 to get the three wooden handles, or you can put the new plastic handle on it. New Grates and you should be cooking!

Work slow and work steady and you will be greatly rewarded!

Congratulations on a great score!

Pat

nice ! try to keep stuff as original as possible. i don't paint the damaged areas but just treat the rust. if that bothers you then try anf find a paint match but those section will really stick out. try to get rid of the rust on the wheels and then paint them black. the lower rack can be painted black or any choice of yers. the vent can be gotten from a donor or from weber. take the remaining vents off to clean. i use all ss bolts and nuts. as to the paint itself i would use a lot of soap and 0000 steel wool to clean it up.

I will take some better quality photos tonight and update my blog with them.

I need hit up the hardware store and find some fine steel wool.

I wasn't able to find any of the daisy wheels online. Will Weber sell them to me?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
I wasn't able to find any of the daisy wheels online. Will Weber sell them to me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Troy, send me an email from my profile and I will send a one your way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R: Troy, send me an email from my profile and I will send a one your way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There's that TVWB Karma working again.
greenstars.gif

So I received a daisy wheel vent in the mail over the weekend, thanks to my new hero - Shaun R.

I have the bowl almost all cleaned up on the outside, I haven't started the inside yet. Is there any fast way for cleaning the inside? The gunk is CAKED in there.

Hi Troy, glad to hear the vent reached you. It's a great match too. One way to clean it is to use a green scrub pad and some hot or warm water. Let it soak and use a little elbow grease. For the tough parts I use a plastic putty knife from HD. They cost about 50 cents. You may have to repeat a few times. I can't wait too see the finished product. Please keep us posted. Oh and by the way. I invested in a cheap rivet gun from HD and rivets for vents. They work pretty good rather than a screw, they look original.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there any fast way for cleaning the inside? The gunk is CAKED in there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try an Oven cleaner on the inside of the Bowl and Lid. It might take two or three times to get it all. Krud Kutter and Greased Lighting have been suggested here before. Good luck and don't' forget the Before and After pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back