Baby backs vs. spares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I have always smoked BB's. This weekend I will be doing some spares and some BB's. Is the cooking time any different? I usually smoke my BB's @~250 lid temp for 5.5 hours.

Should I do anything different to the spares besides the trimming? Do they taste the same will my old rub will be okay?

How many spares can I get on one grate?

Thanks
Mike

Mike
Spares take longer by a couple of hours as an average to cook. You can use the same rub, spares have more flavor IMHO.
The basic techniques are the same for BB and spares.
Jim

Mike,
You can probably sqeeze 4 full racks of spares on the WSM. 2 on the top 2 on the bottom, depending on the size. If they are too close to the edge the ends will dry out. But I would definitely recommend using a rib rack instead if you have one. You can do alot more with the rack. Timewise, I did 3 racks cut in half on the rib rack this weekend on the top grate at 250, and they took about 6 1/2 hours. They turned out perfect. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I have two rib racks. I'll be using both. I plan on filling the top with three racks BB's. And I guess I'll go with two spares on the bottom. My father has requested ribs for fathers day so I don't want to disappoint;-)

Mike

If you coil the spares on the bottom rack, you can fit three slabs on there with no problem, and still have room for rib nibblers (the trimmings).

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Yep, spares take a bit longer. Done with the same rub (and the BB a less time) I definately liked the spares much better.

I've done 4 (with rib racks on top and bottom), but I think I like three at a time now so the bits and pieces can be done on them top with some of the ends and the full racks on the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back