Baby Backs tomorrow

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Here's de plan:

lemon/apple juice marinade overnight
perhaps I will add some of my home grown jalapeno or long skinny peppers to the mix

Rub will be Wild Willy's #1 and Memmorial Rub.
Pecan and peach wood.
Cook at 275 for about 3 hours. Foil for 45 - 60 min. Finnish with No.5 sauce with a little honey.

I can taste them now.

Threw the plan out of the window.
Sat. pm grilled tuna-olive oil,garlic, onion, oregano and, lemon: this one was a 9 out of 10!
2.5 minutes per side on the grill. Yum.

Sun. noon marinade baby backs. 5pm (ooops) started cooking ribs. The unplanned afternoon included a dead battery, jump, and new battery.

So I developed the 2.5 hour rib cook method. The wood used was all pecan. Yes it was a compremise. Cooked the ribs with water at 275 for 45 min., then 300-330 or so without water for the next 45 min. Foiled for 45 min. then finnished for 15 min. without glaze. actual cook time 2hr and 45 min. My best ribs usually take about 4 hours cook time and temps aound 275-300.

These were dry ribs. Memorial rub about 7.5 out of 10. Better than waiting till today for ribs but not my best. 350* will dry ribs out on the edges.
When I pulled the water, I left the waterpan out. There is much more smoke w/o a waterpan and the fat dripping on the coals.

Back