Baby Backs from the butcher

Randy C

TVWBB Member
Today I did a couple racks of baby backs and a pork butt. It's nice to sometimes splurge on ribs from the butcher. I just got done eating the ribs and used Danny G's rib sauce on them. They were very good and the pork butt is half way through its cook right now. Thanks again to everyone for this great forum.

Sounds like you will have some good eats tonight
icon_wink.gif

Randy,

I have thought about doing the same (ribs/butts) and have a few questions for you. I assume ribs on top rack and butt on bottom? What were your temps? How long for the ribs? How long for the butt?

Bob W

Hi Robert,

I put the pork butt on the top grate and the ribs on the bottom. My theory is the fats rendered from the butt will help tenderize the baby backs. I use 240 degrees as my target temp measured at the top rack. My baby backs were done in about 5 hours. The pork butt was about 7lbs and an estimate on the pork butt is 1.5 - 2 hours per pound. Normally for me a 7 lb butt usually takes me around 12 hours start to finish. However, this cook was unique and took 15 hours. This was the longest cook I have ever done. I don't know why this cook took so long. The weather conditions were ideal and no wind. The charcoal was fresh and not damp. I guess the meat itself was the reason why, but I don't know the reasoning. Possibly the breakdown of the connective tissues was the culprit.

Back