Baby back ribs

Greg Ross-MN

TVWBB Fan
Going to smoke some baby back ribs today. First time doing ribs on the SF.

Any tips? Smokeboost for an hour? 250-275 after?

4-5 hours total?

Wish you luck. Back ribs (at least the ones I get in commercial places like Costco, Sam's, supermarkets, etc always without fail turn out either awful or just "passable" for me. I actually have better luck doing them on a gasser. Go figure. Now, spares or St Louis Cut? A whole nother story. I almost always get great results on pellet grill and meh on gassers.
Now, if I get baby backs from the little shop in Arlington Heights IL (Thuringer) these turn out like the gods smiled down on me no matter where I cook them. I don't even bother buying back ribs any more as they leave me so discouraged.

Well that technique is actually more "braising" them. What about NOT braising them. I get nice ribs off the gasser without resorting to all this. Why not on the pellet grill which can turn out such wonderful spares/St Louis ribs (many times without even wrapping which is something I NEVER did on the gas grill).
I have never tried braising anything on the pellet or gas grill. Only thing I like about backs is less waste. When I buy spares (or as Costco calls them "St Louis Ribs") I trim them severely so they are fully "squared". I take off all that "tail" meat and cartilage, and cut off the tips behind the "knuckle" as I call it. They turn out great. But, I have all that waste. I cannot use it for my Sunday Gravy the way I was taught Sunday gravy by my mom and grandmother due to pork allergy on the boss. So, I can only use beef, and veal. (which is sad as I cannot make a "true" Sunday gravy). If my oldest daughter is around I will give her the scraps and she makes different batches of gravy. I have taught her both ways.
Otherwise I just toss it all in the trash (which I hate to do).
Anyway I want to make GOOD back ribs without resorting to "braising" in my pellet grill

Back