Baby Back Ribs

Very nice! You're a lot further along than I was when I started.

I'll just tell my story real quick. Way back in the late 80s when all we had was cookbooks I began trying to do ribs and I failed every time. Every time they were either too tough or dried out or under cooked or whatever. I tried every recipe I could get my hands on. For SEVEN YEARS. Seven years of failures! After that, I just gave up. **** it, I said. Then after about three more years, I went to a restaurant and tried his baby back ribs and they were so delicious, I decided to try again. So I got the idea of cooking them in a big pot, curled up, and just steam them slowly. It was a variation of the Rendezvous ribs. I would hit them with a rendezvous rub and spritz with a vinegar water mix. Place the pot in my oven covered. Grill them at the end to add some crispness to the surface. And they were actually very good, very delicious, tender, but it was kind of hit or miss. It was easy to over cook them and the meat just falls right off the bone which is delicious but not what you want. But the meat had a nice tangy flavor and my wife loved them. But as I said, it was hit and miss with the meat trying to fall off the bone.

It wasn't until the internet came along that I finally figured out how to do them start to finish outside. It's so easy! Why didn't they just explain it clearly in the cookbook recipes???

Method: Cook/smoke low and slow. When you like the color, wrap. Continue cooking until the rack flexes. They are done. Add sauce or not. If adding sauce, cook ten mins until sauce sets. Done. Perfect ribs. So simple.

Back