Baby Back Rib Question

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
So I have two slabs on the WSM right now. One slab 2lbs the other 2.5/lbs. I trimed 2 ribs off one slab so I could lay them flat on the top grate. I have been cooking at 220 (top grate) all day so far. Well I just went out to foil the slabs and I decide to check the piece I cut off well it was so tender and moist I decided to eat it this piece was closer to the side of WSM which I understand is higher temp. My question is the full slabs bones were not showing yet however they did look moist but just cant be done after only 3hrs at 220. I dont think its possible the slabs are finished do you? I am going to check them after 40 min in the foil then Sauce for 15 min I bet they will be done.

any suggestions?

Rick

The Smoke Hunters

Probably not. The piece you ate is assumably the last two (smallest) bones on the rack. That coupled with them being cut off is the reason they are done so early. To test for doneness take a toothpick and slide it in between the bones. It should literally feel like its going through soft butter...Otherwise they aint done.

I am doing baby backs right now....220-230 temp.
My method is 2.5 hrs smoked, 1 hr wrapped in foil with a pineapple/vinegar/water mix, then 15-20 minutes direct heat for saucin.
about 4 hrs total.

Back