Baby back capacity

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was wondering how many racks of BB's I can get just on the top shelf using the rib racks? I like the convience of just using the top shelf rather than using both levels.

On a similar note: does anybody have any tips on how to turn/rotate the meat quickly when you have meat on both shelves? I always feel like I'm juggling six things and I always wish I had two more hands so could further minimize the time that lid is off and loosing heat/cooking time. Should I just take my time and not sweat it (and have a cold one when I'm thru)?

If you're trying to maximize the number, you'd do better to roll and stack-- 4 down, 3 up. Racked, you'd probably finish with dried out ends, unless you cut them in half-- which would also take up more rack slots.

As far as speeding up open time, I have a rubber door mat to set the lid on, and I use my Weber chimney as a pedestal to set the top grate on while I work on items on the bottom grate. Makes things go quicker. Alternately, I sometimes use long tongs thru the access door to flip items on the bottom grate, and have even used the same tongs to grab the edge of and rotate the bottom grate without removing the lid or top grate.

SmokinG....

Welcome!!

I usually max out my WSM when cooking. You can fit 5 racks on each level using a rib rack. You will need to cut them in half unless they measure less than 16" in length....St. Louis spares come close, but BB's are usually over 22" long.

Check out a recent catering gig I did in a thread called Grad party review, here is the link....

Grad Party cook review

I am doing another party this weekend and I will take pics of my set-up.

In regards to the flipping and rotating and mopping, etc. Do 1 grate at a time and ALWAYS replace the cover while working. I take the entire grate out, set it on old newspapers and flip and rotate. I then replace and take out the bottom...in this case, because it is so hard to take the entire grate out, I simply lift the rib rack out. You will need a good pair of gloves for this process! I like the long ones that go up to my elbows...Wells Lamont makes them and they are coated with something....makes them waterproof and cleanable as well.

If you fail to replace the lid during this time, you will have a raging fire complete with flaming wood chunks! So, take the stuff completely out, put the lid on and take your time rearranging the meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back