B.R.I.T.U

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Willis

TVWBB Member
I guess I should wait until I'm done, but I'm so excited I could bust!

Got my WSM put together yesterday, just fired it up this morning and am waiting for the coals to get hot. I grew up in a gas grilling family, so this was my first time, at least alone, using charcoal. (Use gloves!. Even though the Weber chimney's handles were cool, I decided to follow the recommendation and use gloves anyway. I dumped the hot batch OK, filled it up and went to dump again, but noticed my left hand started to warm a bit. Without thinking, I didn't use the handle with my other hand and grabbed the bottom metal. Those gloves just saved my bacon!)

You're absolutely correct about being careful around the chimney. About a year ago, I set mine down, in a hurry, in my carport. Later I had forgotten and brushed up against it with my leg while doing something else around the cooker. Got a second degree burn on my calf - a lesson I won't soon forget.

David,
Because your WSM is brand new, it will probably run quite hot (because of the shiny new interior surfaces). After a couple of cooks this will change.

At a minimum, start with very cold water in your water pan.

Good Luck. -Albert

After almost a year of smoking on the WSM and grilling on the Weber kettle, I got my first good burn on my arm the other day. Never let your guard down, let's be careful out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back