AVR fuses ERROR?

Adam Becker

Powered up my new HM 4.2.2, and I'm not getting any communication between the rPi and the AVR. LCD just shows 1 row of black squares. Linkmeter is up, and when I try to manually flash firmware I get this message:

Stopping LinkMeter OK

LinkMeter platform is BCM2708
AVR fuses ERROR

Starting LinkMeter OK​

I've spent a lot of time now with a DMM checking voltages, ringing out connections between the AVR and rPi header. Any other ideas? I read somewhere else someone had potentially had this problem.

Thanks!

Yeah the AVR Fuses ERROR means that it can't communicate with the microcontroller at all. Don't worry about the LCD pot or shift register because this is way before that. I would verify you've got 3.3V at all the points you're supposed to on the ATmega, then test continuity between MOSI, MISO, SCK, and RESET to the Pi header.

Yeah the AVR Fuses ERROR means that it can't communicate with the microcontroller at all. Don't worry about the LCD pot or shift register because this is way before that. I would verify you've got 3.3V at all the points you're supposed to on the ATmega, then test continuity between MOSI, MISO, SCK, and RESET to the Pi header.

Thanks Bryan. Everything seems to be connected and voltages OK, but my SCK seems to be grounded out for some reason. I'm assuming that should not be the case? I'm hunting for a solder bridge, afraid it's under the header or the ATmega socket.

I was an idiot and soldered the ATmega socket on backwards, but inserted the chip the correct way so that should be fine right?

Thanks.

Alright, it's working! I reflowed the GND and SCK joints on the RPi header a few times (a lot of times actually) and finally got them to disconnect. Thanks again for your help.

Awesome! Glad you stuck with it and got it sorted out. It wasn't easy but at least it was straight-forward to track down the general location of the problem.

Back