AVR Firmware Update Fails

MHutchins

Hello,

I had a working Heatermeter until this morning when I accidentally rest the configuration. I have wired and wireless comms, but the configuration page says "HeaterMeter serial communication can not be established." When I try to reflash the AVR Firmware from the stored file on the HeaterMeter I get this status screen:

Code:
Stopping LinkMeter nil	connect

LinkMeter platform is DEFAULT
                          0a547735921362476f91976c16ededff  /lib/firmware/hm.hex
hmdude: compiled on Oct 12 2017 at 13:13:56
hmdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
Using port: /dev/ttyAMA0
Loading ihex file: "/lib/firmware/hm.hex" (22744 bytes)
Starting sync (release RESET now)...
Sync: ERROR
Update failed
Starting LinkMeter nil	connect

Any ideas what to try next? I've tried downloading and updating from my local computer, but that fails as well.

Thanks,
Mike

What HeaterMeter / Pi hardware are you using? It says "LinkMeter platform is DEFAULT" which would indicate like a v3.2 or something with a Linksys router attached? If this is running on a Pi, I'd grab the latest snapshot for your Pi and reflash your SD card because it seems like the linkmeter configuration on the Pi is messed up.

Thanks, Bryan.

I'm running a Pi B Rev 2 on the 4.2 hardware. I'll try a reflash of the SD card and report back.

Thanks,
Mike

I never could get this working and I've run out of patience. I purchased a new 4.3 version and case with a Pi 3B. Hope to be smoking soon!!

Mike

No change after reflashing the SD card? It's definitely something super weird going on in software I think. If you want to send the whole thing to me I'll take a look and if there's any fixing it I can do that and mail it back. If you're super-handy with networking and want to let me SSH into your HeaterMeter, I might be able to figure something out that way too.

I have also seen two instances of Pi that their UART (used to communicate between the Pi and HeaterMeter) just stops working-- no data going either way. It would be a long shot but it is possible that happened, but I don't think so just based on the log you've posted.

No change after reflashing the SD card? It's definitely something super weird going on in software I think. If you want to send the whole thing to me I'll take a look and if there's any fixing it I can do that and mail it back. If you're super-handy with networking and want to let me SSH into your HeaterMeter, I might be able to figure something out that way too.

I have also seen two instances of Pi that their UART (used to communicate between the Pi and HeaterMeter) just stops working-- no data going either way. It would be a long shot but it is possible that happened, but I don't think so just based on the log you've posted.

Wow Bryan, I can't believe the generous offer!! That is WAAAY over the top. Honestly, I'm fine with the upgrade and despite bricking my old model, I still think the HeaterMeter is the best value for automated temperature controllers. You can still count me in the fanboy column!

Warmest regards,
Mike

User Error - DOH

Double Success!!

While setting up my new HeaterMeter, I realized the mistake I was making trying to reflash my old model. I was using the USB port rather than opening up the case and reflashing the SD card. DOH!! Every time I read the directions, I saw mention of the USB WiFi and that just lodged in my brain and never allowed me to comprehend SD card... :p

Oh well, now I have a backup If I somehow screw things up again, although with the 4 buttons vs. the joystick, it should be a bit more idiot proof. Also, this time around, I'll be sure to save all of my configuration parameters so I can readily reestablish my active configuration and PID tune if I ever have to do another reflash.

Thanks again Bryan,
Mike

haha oh man don't you love it when you suddenly have that head-slapping moment and you figure out where everything was going wrong? Glad you got it working, and if you want to return that 4.3 now that you've got it figured out that's not a problem either if you just pay for the shipping.

Back