Auber vs. iQue

I’ve been using the IQue110 for about 6 months and have been quite satisfied with its performance. It is simple to use and reliable. Having said that you need to know this unit has no bells and whistles. There is no digital readout and nothing to program. You turn a knob to set the temperature you want and that’s it. Lights change colors or blink to tell you if the temperature is running hot, cold, or within 10 degrees of the set temperature. To monitor the temperature remotely I have to use my ET-732. The IQue and the ET-732 temps are very very close to one another. The IQue can be run off house power or a 12v battery. I usually run mine off a 12v battery jump starter. The IQue draws so little power the jump starter hardly needs recharging even after long cooks (12+ hours). The IQue is not waterproof and needs to be protected from rain or water sprinklers. I don’t think Pitmaster IQ is a very large company but when I’ve needed customer support my emails have been answered promptly with the information I requested. I’ve not used or even seen the Auber so I can’t say which is the better unit but hope this will help in making your decision.

Originally posted by Jim V:
The IQue is not waterproof and needs to be protected from rain or water sprinklers. I don’t think Pitmaster IQ is a very large company but when I’ve needed customer support my emails have been answered promptly with the information I requested. I’ve not used or even seen the Auber so I can’t say which is the better unit but hope this will help in making your decision.

Ditto..Ditto..Ditto
I have had my 110 for over a year now and am very satisfied. I have smoked everything from turkeys to briskets with no problems. I have smoked in ALL kinds of weather. Can't ask for better service or a better product for the money.

Originally posted by Anthony Irving:
Let me start by saying that I own an Ique. But here is my question about the Auber. Since the fan connects directly to the vent. Can you still use it when it's raining out?

I have the Auber, you can use the fan outside in the elements. The fan hosing is actually made of good quality materials. I was surprised when I first handled it. Their patent spring makes it really easy to put on and off. I've had mine over a year and I have never had any problems with. Its top notch for the price.

So I ended up getting the Auber. Got the unit Wednesday, used it on Thursday for some spareribs. What an amazing device this thing is, kept me at a stable 224-226 practically during the whole cook!

Using the recommended programming in the directions I had no overshoot either, as it brought the temperature up very gradually.

For those of you who have a WSM and an Auber, it looks like the fan does not cover all of the openings on the bottom vent.....is th is a problem? Also, I have the 22.5 WSM...would you go with the 10 cfm fan?

Thanks for your help!

They give you metallic tape to cover the other two vent holes, and you close all the other bottom vents. The Auber becomes the sole supplier of air for the WSM at that point.

I too have the 22.5 and wish I had gotten the bigger fan...the smaller one works, but I can't do high-heat cooks (higher than 300 degrees) with the smaller fan. It's worth the extra $$$ for the bigger fan, IMHO.

Thanks James. I am still trying to decide between the Auber and the iQue so any/all information is a help!

(I would love one of the WiFi ones but not enthusiastic about the pricing)

Looking at the Website today, it is a choice between a 6.5 CFM or a 20 CFM(+$16.80) !

While I wait on the RaspberryPI upgrade to the "Heater Meter for Link Meter" - I may invest in this.

Thanks for the info guys.

Originally posted by Tony_H:
keg auber issues

brethren issues

Controller Operating Temperature 28~160°F (-2 ~ 70°C) from their own product page
auber details

In the keg thread there are some quotes from back and forth with Auber people in regards to the controller issues with temp. It doesn't seem to effect everyone, and for some people it seems they don't have the problem because they put the auber close enough to an ambient heat source (i.e. their pit) to keep it above the ambient temp.

My Auber for my 18½" WSM arrived in yesterday's mail, and I am looking forward to having a go with it! I seen this thread and in particular the reported problems with the Auber in cold temperatures. My being in Canada makes this a concern!

Are people still having trouble with the Auber in Cold? In the BBQ Brethren thread, KWAS68, and others, state...
I contacted Auber and received a fast response. Their customer service has been great.

Turns out that the controller is good from 28° to 160°F so the cold weather is what messed things up. I checked the website and it clearly states these parameters. I missed that when I was deciding which one to buy. My fault.

Perhaps Auber has updated their device? I went to their website and it clearly says under the unit's Specifications:Controller Operating Temperature: 0~160°F (-20 ~ 70°C)

Anyone bought one recently and tried it in the cold?

Originally posted by Dru Cook:

Perhaps Auber has updated their device? I went to their website and it clearly says under the unit's Specifications:Controller Operating Temperature: 0~160°F (-20 ~ 70°C)

Got to say - Auber is super fast on thier customer service and email communication! I emailed Auber at the same time I posted that message... and within about 45 minutes I have my answer, and on a Saturday morning no less!

The specification on our web is for SYL-1614 controller that we are selling now. The 28° to 160°F was for SYL-1613 mode that has been discontinued.

And the one I recieved is indeed the SYL-1614

Woot!

Will do! Won't get a chance for the next few days unfortunatly but then it's a smokin' time!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Mike Purnell:
Hey Dru, I would like to hear a review once you've used the Auber a few times. Interested in picking one up this summer.

Mike you will not regret getting the Auber. It does the same as the more popular brands for a lot less $$$. It depends on how many bells and whistle you are looking for. Its like getting a Toyota Camry vs a Lexus E350. They are the same car, once has more bells & whistles. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and I do not regret getting it.

Ordered my Auber yesterday and am pretty pumped about using.
I hadn't planned on getting an ATC but my last two overnights I woke up and the temp was down to about 170° in the pit.
For years I'd been able to hold at least 225° overnight with no worries.
It wasn't out of fuel or anything, just wasn't holding the temp for some reason.

Anyone using lump with it?
Just wondering what kind of burn times people are getting with the Auber and full rings of lump.

A buddy and I are competing with WSM’s and we added a 22 to our stable at our second comp and I bought an Auber with the 10CFM fan for keeping temps. We had rain all night long and it kept great control with the lump charcoal. (Brisket came in 3rd). We used the same set-up with Kingsford, no rain, it held 250 on the nose all night long and that brisket came in first!
icon_biggrin.gif

I’d buy another one if I needed to, no problem.

All I have to say thus far is great job by Auber.
Ordered my ATC on Monday am and it was waiting for me after work last night at home.
Hooked everything up outside the smoker - temp probe is spot at 212° in boiling water and fan works a-ok.
Can't wait to fire this up tomorrow.
Thinking of going with a same day smoke on the first run with the Pepper Stout Beef.

Originally posted by Mike Purnell:
Hey Dru, I would like to hear a review once you've used the Auber a few times. Interested in picking one up this summer.

OK! Let me start by saying... I AM IN LOVE with this Auber controller!!! Can I repeat that? I AM IN LOVE with this Auber controller!!!!!!!!

Now that being said... I am only 3 hours into my first cook with this unit. Here is what's happened so far.

Step One: Set up the smoker Minion Method style... let it come up to temps a bit...

Step Two: Added the Butt. Set top vent to a little less than 50% and the bottom vents are all closed and the one with the fan has the high temp tape on it etc..

Step Three: Put the temp probe for the Maverick on the grate and the other in the butt. I clipped the Auber temp probe onto the Maverick grate probe as well. Placed lid on cooker (on top of the 3 wires)

Step four: Poured a very stiff Gin and Tonic with Lime... sat back and read instructions for the Auber. Set the Auber for 225 degrees and let it go on it's default setting... No Auto-tune... not adjusting... just default!

OK - it has been rock solid - 224º to 227º the whole time so far... and 90% of the time it's 225º on the button. I could not be happier with this Auber so far! so Mike... if you want a recommendation.. pick up the Auber.. and don't look back - you will be MORE than pleased!

Originally posted by Dru Cook:
OK - it has been rock solid - 224º to 227º the whole time so far... and 90% of the time it's 225º on the button. I could not be happier with this Auber so far! so Mike... if you want a recommendation.. pick up the Auber.. and don't look back - you will be MORE than pleased!

After one cook, I would have to echo Dru's sentiments. I cooked Pepper Stout Beef on Friday and had the Auber set to 250° for the better part of 4 hours and it never deviated from 247°- 251°.
My only issue was the inability for it to maintain 350° even on the old 18" WSM.
Could only get to hold at about 338°.
Next up - overnight for Hawaiin BBQ Pulled Pork but will cook on the WSM rather than roast the Butt.

My only issue was the inability for it to maintain 350° even on the old 18" WSM.
Could only get to hold at about 338°.

I have no problems ranging from 230-280* with a dry water pan

when it starts to struggle getting the temps up, I know it's time to knock down the ash build up. Sometimes I have to top it off with some lit. It seems since the air is coming from one vent, not all the charcoal will burn.

Back