Auber Blower Fan

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Don't know if this has been asked before, but will the Auber Blower work with the heatermeter. The one advantage I see to this blower is it has a damper that closes off the air flow when the blower is off. That would make it easier to extingish the coals when done with a cook.

Thanks Tom. Are there any settings that I will need to change? How does the built in damper work?

There are no settings to tweak. The damper is passive and works via gravity vs. air pressure generated by the fan. You will have to replace the connector on the end of the fan wire with an RCA connector. I think some people on the forums have experimented with changing the RCA jack on the board with a DC power jack but I don't recall ever confirming this. If you do that, it probably wouldn't fit the current case without some modification.

Thanks for the advice Tom. I probably will order the Auber fan later this week. The idea of the damper to help with shutdown intrigues me. I will look at the idea of changing the RCA to a DC power jack as I am building my heatermeter in the next couple of weeks. How easy would it be to tweak the case depending on the size of the different plug? I would assume it is close to the same plug as the current main power plug. All interesting questions when doing things custom.

I doubt a 2.5mm barrel jack will fit on the same footprint as the RCA jack does (I could be wrong though). I think some people just make a RCA to Barrel Jack pigtail. The next HeaterMeter PCB design will probably use the barrel jack to make this a little easier for folks who want the cool pre-made blower.

There are no settings to tweak. The damper is passive and works via gravity vs. air pressure generated by the fan. You will have to replace the connector on the end of the fan wire with an RCA connector. I think some people on the forums have experimented with changing the RCA jack on the board with a DC power jack but I don't recall ever confirming this. If you do that, it probably wouldn't fit the current case without some modification.

Tom, what smoker are you using and what size fan are you using? Mine is a WSM22.

I use the Auber blower on my 18" WSM, I just cut up an RCA cable I had laying around and spliced it onto the Auber.

401579_10151468463656129_986817585_n.jpg

Last edited:
I also use the auberins blower w/ HM4.0. In addition to the damper the simple mounting adapters and spring make it easy to install and remove.
I soldered the DC power jack pigtail to my HM board.

I also use the auberins blower w/ HM4.0. In addition to the damper the simple mounting adapters and spring make it easy to install and remove.
I soldered the DC power jack pigtail to my HM board.

Jason what kind of smoker do you use?

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8VUggk4BiI

On the wsm you'll need to tape over the two vent holes on the vent that's being used. The other two vents you just close.

You can also use a stainless bowl with a hole in it and just cover the whole vent. A bolt goes through the vent hole to keep the bowl pulled tight. Saves you from have to mess with the tape, even though the tape isn't that big of a deal.

wsm_zps993e5562.jpg

Check out the installation guide. It has two pieces of spring steel that stick out at a right angle connected by a spring. You move those two pieces together and thread them into one of the vent holes of a bottom damper. The two pieces of steel spring back to seat the blower against the body of the WSM. You then seal the other two vent holes with heat proof aluminum duct tape and close off the other bottom dampers.

-- Mache

Can someone tell me how to splice the RCA into the dc power jack of the auber? I cut one end off of my RCA cable but I'm unsure how to splice it since the dc has 2 wires.

Thanks

Back