Attaching HM to WSM

New Heatermeter user here and I am attaching my HM to an 18” WSM. I have browsed all the posts on attaching to a WSM and found them all lacking to me in some way.
  • There is the standard dog/cat dish connection but my concern is that the vent is above the coals and only on one side so you don’t get a nice distribution of air to all the coals.
  • There is the universal weber attachment from bbq guru but $20 seemed a bit much for what it is and it still does not distribute the air evenly.
  • Finally, there is the ‘airburner’ which distributes the air very nicely but every one I have seen requires that I drill a hole in the WSM.

I know I am almost certainly overthinking things here but I built what is a bit of a combination of the airburner along with the universal weber attachment and thought I would pass on the parts list along with some limited directions in case it proves useful to someone.

Parts:
  • 1 1/8x3” toggle bolt
  • ~3 feet of 3/4” copper pipe
  • 5 3/4”x3/4” 90 degree elbows
  • 1 3/4”x3/4” 45 degree elbow
  • 1 3/4"x3/4"x3/4" tee
  • 1 1”x3/4” reducer
  • Lead free solder

Now, I used all copper for this because I have lots left over from various home improvement projects but you can probably get by with metal conduit or other types of pipe.

Cut three pieces of pipe 8 1/4” long, two pieces 3 1/2” long, and two pieces 1 3/4” long. At this point, it is a good idea to dry fit everything, placing it in the grill, ensuring that the pipe inlet matches up with the top of one of the vents.

If the dry fit shows everything is in good alignment, it is time to start assembling. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to sweat copper pipes together so I won’t address that here. You may be able to get by with just dry fitting the entire assembly but I like the additional stiffness that sweating the pipes gives me. First assembly is the three longer pieces of pipe with the two 90 degree connectors. Ensure that things are flat when you are putting these pieces together.

Next, drill a 1/8” hole in the middle of the outside bend of one of the remaining 90 degree elbows and then router out the hole a bit so that the toggle bolt will pass through the hole and out the middle of one of the ends. Now assemble all the remaining pieces, fluxing the joints and then setting it in place in the bottom of your WSM with the toggle bolt holding the final elbow through the top hole of one of the bottom vents. Now sweat all the remaining joints together without removing the parts.

Once things have cooled, remove the airburner assembly from the WSM and drill 15 3/16” holes on the inside of the assembly. I chose the inside because I don’t want ash to fall and plug the holes and I am really just trying to distribute the air evenly. I also drilled 15 holes because 16 gives exactly the same cross sectional area as a 3/4” pipe. 15 holes should then give a slight amount of back pressure so that air will come out of all of them roughly evenly (at least that is my theory).

Cut about 3/16” off of the ends of the toggle bolt using your favorite tool (a dremel worked very well for me). This will let the toggle bolt set a bit more solidly on the shoulders of the 1” to 3/4” reducer to tighten the internal to external parts. This is the one part of the build with which I am least satisfied. It seems to hold alright but I would like something a bit more solid and less restrictive to hold the pipes together. If anyone has any better solutions, I would appreciate hearing them!

Here are a couple of pictures of the completed build

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuqiit1b2cs05lj/2016-06-09 18.02.28.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qeks19y6l46n313/2016-06-09 18.03.57.jpg?dl=0

Now it is completely up to you how you connect that external 1” reducer to your blower. For me, I added a short piece of 1” pipe, a 90 degree elbow and then another short piece of pipe with a 1” coupler on the end which fits my offset rotary damper nice and smooth.

And here is a pic of the blower attached.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7fpjk3tatujcw5/2016-06-09 18.17.41.jpg?dl=0

You will also need to block the remaining two holes in the vent. I just grabbed a couple of fender washers and some 1/4” bolts to close things up.

Using the stock PID settings of 4, 0.02, 5 and a max fan of 50%, this maintained 225 fairly well once it either made it to temp or got back from overshoot.

Last edited:
Wow, you did a really great job with that! Thank you so much for sharing your build in such detail. I may just replicate your design for my WSM 22.5"!

Given you are using copper pipe, a great thermal conductor, does heat from the WSM fire get conducted to the point where it could melt the plastic on the blower? If this is a problem, can you add a stainless steel spacer (a very poor thermal conductor) to thermally insulate the plastic blower from the copper?

I took a look on the web and silver brazing with Safety-Silv 56 was recommended. You can get it in a 5 pack of uncoated, or 3 pack of flux coated. They are running about 10-12 dollars per rod. Some refrigeration places will sell you one rod at a time and the braze temperature should be around 1100 degrees.

Steel to copper is a very common joint in refrigeration (steel tubing on hermetic compressors joined to copper refrigeration lines).

More discussion about making stainless steel to copper joints is here.

Last edited:
Haven't noticed an issue. Also, there is a gap between the inside and the outside copper pipes so I think that should help out. Two cooks so far and no melting of the ABS printed rotary damper.

--Ron

another reason it won't melt the plastic is, that you are cooling the copper all the time by pushing cold air into it :) and it's far enough away from the heat as well.
i had problems with the solder melting when i heated the WSM to a "no standard" bbq temperature - so with open lid a blower at 100%, but i solved that, by crimping the joints a bit with big pliers so they parts don't fall apart even with molten solder. and as soon as it cools down it's solid again.

What a great idea. I think the air manifold design rather than the single pipe output from the blower/damper into the firebox will work much better to control the fire with my newly built HeaterMeter and MicroDamper. Ron I printed off your parts list and am just back from the store to start soldering the 3/4" copper parts together but I am missing the 3/4" tee. Guess I am back on the road to the store again. Maybe you can update your parts list for us dummies, LOL.......Thanks Bob

What a great idea. I think the air manifold design rather than the single pipe output from the blower/damper into the firebox will work much better to control the fire with my newly built HeaterMeter and MicroDamper. Ron I printed off your parts list and am just back from the store to start soldering the 3/4" copper parts together but I am missing the 3/4" tee. Guess I am back on the road to the store again. Maybe you can update your parts list for us dummies, LOL.......Thanks Bob

DOH! Sorry about that but I have now updated the partslist.

Back