ATC for 14.5, worth it?

Tony Nosara CR

Hola! I am importing a 14.5 wsm down here to Costa Rica and have one shot at getting what I need. My usage will be low, maybe a couple times a month, but I want to hit the nail on the head when I do. Pretty busy working, surfing and living in the jungle so not tons of time to experiment. Anyone have good or bad experiences with ATC on this small amigo?

Tony,
I have a 14 WSM and love it. I do not have an ATC, so I am going to speak about my experience without one. The WSM has been pretty easy to control temps, but it has taken me time and tinkering, watching the cooker, making adjustments through the cook. Now 6 months into cooking on it a few times a week, I have the method more dialed in and it takes less effort, but still have to mind the process. Even with feeling like I am getting the process dialed in I am still thinking about adding an ATC to my Arsenal of smoking tools.
Reading your original post, if you both want to get everything you need in this one shot and you want hit the nail on the head with your cooks from the start, and you identify as being a super busy guy, with all that said, yeah I think an ATC would shrink the learning curve and make your new WSM a true set it and forget it.
I know a look of guys on this site who run an ATC on the 14 WSM so hopefully other chime in also.

Tony,
I have a 14 WSM and love it. I do not have an ATC, so I am going to speak about my experience without one. The WSM has been pretty easy to control temps, but it has taken me time and tinkering, watching the cooker, making adjustments through the cook. Now 6 months into cooking on it a few times a week, I have the method more dialed in and it takes less effort, but still have to mind the process. Even with feeling like I am getting the process dialed in I am still thinking about adding an ATC to my Arsenal of smoking tools.
Reading your original post, if you both want to get everything you need in this one shot and you want hit the nail on the head with your cooks from the start, and you identify as being a super busy guy, with all that said, yeah I think an ATC would shrink the learning curve and make your new WSM a true set it and forget it.
I know a look of guys on this site who run an ATC on the 14 WSM so hopefully other chime in also.
Thank you Michael, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I am going to order a Thermowerks Billow and Signals to expedited my learning curve. Pura vida!

Thank you Michael, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I am going to order a Thermowerks Billow and Signals to expedited my learning curve. Pura vida!
Before you make that order, I suggest you use the Conversation feature to contact member CaseT. Click the little envelope next to your user name and avatar in the upper right of the screen, from the drop down menu select Start a new conversation. In the recipient box type CaseT, and thent ype your message.

CaseT has a 14" and an ATC. It is not the Billows. Beware the Billows has a 46CFM fan (CFM= Cubic Feet per Minute) which may be way to strong for your small 14" cooker. I think CaseT has an ATC made by BBQ Guru, but I'm not certain. I have a 10CFM fan for my 22" WSM and previously ran an 18" WSM with a 5CFM fan. You can also search for threads started by CaseT. He posts quite a bit in the Photo Gallery forum.

And Tony, Welcome to TVWBB!

Back