Assembly problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Ellison

TVWBB Member
When installing the circular ash-catcher component on the outside bottom of my one-touch gold Weber kettle, the component becomes slightly out-of-round after its three tabs go into the slots in the leg posts. This makes it very cumbersome to insert the ash pot into the circular component. Any ideas how to address the situation? --Dave Ellison

Unfortunately, my "massages" did not work as well as yours. I called Weber, explained the problem, and was shipped a new ash catcher unit. It fit much better, even though installation still was a bit tedious. Thanks for the response.

I know what you're sayin Dave. My tabs never sat rite into them leg socket do-hickeys. I just ran 3 self drilling/ tapping screws through each leg.
The ash pan does hang up on some (like mine) where it comes in contact with those 3 tabs.
Use a dremel or angle grinder ( I used a bastard file) to give a relief cut at those points.

Tim

Originally posted by Dave Ellison:
When installing the circular ash-catcher component on the outside bottom of my one-touch gold Weber kettle, the component becomes slightly out-of-round after its three tabs go into the slots in the leg posts. This makes it very cumbersome to insert the ash pot into the circular component. Any ideas how to address the situation? --Dave Ellison

Dave,

I feel your pain. Just got a new 26.75 OTG and have the exact same problem. Contacted Weber CS and they sent me a new ring and ash pan but after installing the new ring it is still out of round and the pan doesn't fit well. This is with the kettle turned upside down. Would be really tough to get the ash pan in the ring with the kettle setting upright. Will be contacting Weber CS again Mon.

Scotty W.

This obviously is a design defect. After receiving my warranty replacement ring and pan, I very carefully -- trying not to bend the ring very much -- positioned it on the inside of the three leg receptacles. After a lot of effort, I finally got it positioned correctly and the tabs popped into place in the slots under the leg receptacles. It definitely was a chore. Now the pan fits much better (but still not perfectly) and the lever inside the ring works fairly smoothly. I think Weber should revisit this design and correct accordingly. Also, I was put off by the assembly instructions having only drawings and no text. Weber can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back